When God Was a Rabbit

by Sarah Winman | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingkiwiinenglandwing of Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on 9/14/2014
Journal Entry 1 by wingkiwiinenglandwing from Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Sunday, September 14, 2014
This is a book about a brother and a sister. It's a book about childhood and growing up, friendships and families, triumph and tragedy, and everything in between.

Journal Entry 2 by wingkiwiinenglandwing at Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Sunday, September 14, 2014
This book is split into two sections, the first half when the narrator is a child and the second half when she is an adult.

It wasn't until near the end of this book that I realised why I found it slightly annoying, all of the characters were "quirky" and kind. There was total acceptance of what people did and how they acted, it was like reading a story through honey coloured glasses.

The authors writing style of eluding to the future with a sentence such as 'we would see each other again, but only the once - as children, anyway" broke the flow of the story and I found it a clumsy device.

Journal Entry 3 by wingkiwiinenglandwing at Auckland Uncon 2015 in Auckland, Auckland Province New Zealand on Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Released 4 yrs ago (11/13/2015 UTC) at Auckland Uncon 2015 in Auckland, Auckland Province New Zealand

Journal Entry 4 by futurecat at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Sunday, November 15, 2015
Picked up at the Auckland uncon.

^ ^
=+=
v

Journal Entry 5 by futurecat at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Saturday, December 19, 2015
I mostly enjoyed this book, but I felt like the story skipped ahead occasionally in ways that left me feeling like I'd missed something crucial that was never actually explained. I kept stumbling across comments one of the characters would make that would have me leafing back through the pages trying to figure out what they were talking about, but it was just never properly explained. That of course can be a really powerful literary technique when done well, but here it was just confusing.

Unlike kiwiinengland, I actually enjoyed the quirkiness of the characters and found most of them reasonably plausible (I suppose because I actually know people a bit like that in real life). What I did find hard to swallow was the lottery win - it seemed to have so little impact on their lives other than as a clumsy device to allow the author to make things like the move to Cornwall possible. But otherwise, it's completely ignored by everyone - in fact, the central character even mentions at one point that she'd forgotten they were rich. So it ended up feeling like just a lazy way for the author to dig herself out of plot holes.

Overall, mostly entertaining, but occasionally annoying.

Journal Entry 6 by futurecat at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Sunday, January 31, 2016

Released 3 yrs ago (1/31/2016 UTC) at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand

Given to another bookcrosser at this afternoon's meetup.

^ ^