The Tainted Trial of Farah Jama

by Julie Szego | Nonfiction |
Registered by wingmarmee463wing of Templestowe, Victoria Australia on 4/25/2014
Journal Entry 1 by wingmarmee463wing from Templestowe, Victoria Australia on Friday, April 25, 2014
Purchased at the book launch at Reader's Feast in Melbourne where Julie Szego spoke to around 200 people of her experiences leading to and writing this account of a bungled investigation of a crime, subsequent trial and guilty verdict which happened in Melbourne in 2006.
I have already read the first chapter and is proving to be a rivetting read.
This is a signed copy.

Journal Entry 2 by wingmarmee463wing at Templestowe, Victoria Australia on Thursday, July 03, 2014
Julie Szego tackles this true crime story with a refreshing candour. It is skilfully written with an eye for detail and empathy for all involved. Her handling of the complexities of the forensic data situation, the ambiguities within the adversarial system, the perception of consent, the nature of rape, the cultural clashes, in particular, in regard to the position of women within Somali community, is faultless in my opinion. This is Julie's first book, it will be a hard act to follow, if she bothers to write another one, as this story stole three years from her life. Having read it I can understand why it took the toll it did.
Highly recommended reading.

Journal Entry 3 by wingmarmee463wing at Green Sage Cafe in Templestowe, Victoria Australia on Friday, November 07, 2014

Released 4 yrs ago (11/7/2014 UTC) at Green Sage Cafe in Templestowe, Victoria Australia

Will release this at the meet-up today.

To the finder of this book -
Please let me know it is in safe hands by journalling that you have caught it, you are under no obligation to read it and Bookcrossing is completely anonymous.

Journal Entry 4 by monamore at Greensborough, Victoria Australia on Monday, November 17, 2014
Read in one day when the rain wouldn't let me outside. I am terrified that people are left to be judged and then condemned to incarceration by such incompetents.

Journal Entry 5 by monamore at Green Sage Cafe in Templestowe, Victoria Australia on Friday, February 06, 2015

Released 4 yrs ago (2/14/2015 UTC) at Green Sage Cafe in Templestowe, Victoria Australia

at the Templestowe meeting

Journal Entry 6 by chilli2 at Green Sage Cafe in Templestowe, Victoria Australia on Friday, October 09, 2015

Released 3 yrs ago (10/9/2015 UTC) at Green Sage Cafe in Templestowe, Victoria Australia

Have not read this book.

Journal Entry 7 by wingmeganhwing at Thornbury, Victoria Australia on Monday, February 29, 2016
Took this off the shelf at Queen St Rescue yesterday - one of the books culled from Green Sage after we abandoned this as a meetup venue. Our new CBD venue is wonderful - great food, great coffee, lovely staff and bookshelves too!

Journal Entry 8 by wingmeganhwing at Preston, Victoria Australia on Sunday, March 03, 2019
Finally, after three years on my bookshelf, I have read this book.
Very well written and a really shocking story of judging someone without due diligence. Young Somali Jama, despite his watertight alibis was sent to jail for a crime he never committed.
This is the story written after he was freed and the author's persistence and diligence in uncovering the facts is impressive. Just a shame that Jama would not be drawn to ad to his story.

Journal Entry 9 by wingmeganhwing at Thornbury Bowls Club in Thornbury, Victoria Australia on Monday, April 15, 2019

Released 5 days ago (4/15/2019 UTC) at Thornbury Bowls Club in Thornbury, Victoria Australia

To the finder of this book -
If you've found this book, you are invited to join its story through bookcrossing, a random community of book lovers. Bookcrossing has been arbitrarily distributing stray books all over the world for over 17 years (as at July 2018). These pages contain the right read for someone--or perhaps many people. The bookcrossing ID (BCID), which you entered in the "Enter a BCID" box on the website, is unique to this copy of this book. If you make a journal entry (either anonymously, or as a bookcrossing member) all previous readers of this actual book will be notified by email, and can follow the book as it travels. Bookcrossing is free to join and completely confidential (you are known only by your screen name and no one is ever given your e-mail address). Come join the story of this book.