Demon Dentist

by David Walliams | Children's Books |
Registered by wingghirwing of Honolulu, Hawaii USA on 4/25/2014
Journal Entry 1 by wingghirwing from Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Friday, April 25, 2014
To TOC 12/27/14.

Journal Entry 2 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Sunday, December 28, 2014
Picked up at our TOC holiday lunch at Du Vin - thank you!

Journal Entry 3 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Tuesday, February 24, 2015
It seems clear that David Walliams wanted to be Roald Dahl when he grew up; this book is certainly zany enough for that, and I love the Tony Ross illustrations.

Alfie really, really, really hates going to the dentist. And that's BEFORE the rash of horrid things that turn up under pillows all over town in exchange for teeth. When he meets the new dentist, Miss Root, he knows he's in serious trouble.

Journal Entry 4 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Monday, May 18, 2015

Released 4 yrs ago (5/19/2015 UTC) at Honolulu, Hawaii USA

Headed out in quietorchid's Medicine Chest V box - go book, go!

Journal Entry 5 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Sunday, June 28, 2015
I'm claiming this from the Medicine Chest bookbox, mainly because I started giggling as soon as I saw it!

Later: The book's very much in the Roald-Dahl style, from the grotesque/funny/creepy illustrations to the grotesque/funny/very-creepy-indeed story - which gets absolutely horrifying in places, while reverting to slapstick in others. And it manages some heart-warming scenes too, quite a feat all things considered! (One minor complaint: a great deal is made about "made-up words" in the story, with alerts on lots of words as "made-up" - some of which are perfectly legitimate words. I don't know if that's the author's little joke or what, but I found it annoying after a while.)

Early on, we learn why young Alfie hates dentists so much - it's very much justified, and due to his home situation (he and his former-coal-miner father go to a lot of trouble to protect each other from bad news), Alfie never told his father about that nightmare dentist visit, and has been hiding the "time for a dentist appointment" letters for YEARS, leading to terrible teeth on his part, and depriving his dad of a chance to find him a competent dentist. When a frighteningly efficient new dentist turns up in town, Alfie does his best to evade her, but the new social-services lady (Winnie, with an oversized personality that at first rubs Alfie the wrong way) insists that Alfie get his teeth seen to. [There's a very lengthy and slapstick-filled chase sequence in the first part of the book, devoted entirely to Winnie's pursuit-by-moped of a fleeing Alfie; it was funny, but I thought it went on a bit long given that it wasn't the point of the story.]

Eventually Alfie does have to visit the frightening Miss Root, and things go very, very badly for him indeed. (Any reader with a fear of dentists should probably avoid this, as it will only reinforce their worst nightmares - though later events might make them feel empowered, so who knows?) He's given comfort and aid by Raj, the news-agent, and eventually allies with Raj and with schoolmate Gabz to try and take down the evil Miss Root - but she turns out to be much worse than suspected, and the kids wind up in very dire peril indeed.

The climax of the story involves some serious battles, last-minute heroics, and a very poignant resolution. Pretty impressive!

[There's a TV Tropes page for the book, but do beware of spoilers if you haven't read the book yet.]

Released 4 yrs ago (6/29/2015 UTC) at Little Free Library, Kestrel Lane in Westford, Massachusetts USA

I left this book in the Little Free Library at around 2; hope the finder enjoys it!

*** Released as part of the 2015 Keep Them Moving release challenge. ***