Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan, Vol. 1

by Hiroshi Shiibashi | Graphic Novels |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 4/22/2014
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, April 22, 2014
I picked up this manga at Barnes and Noble, after reading about it on TV Tropes. It's about a boy who has spent his life pretty happily in his family's huge mansion, surrounded by the many different yokai who befriend and serve him. But he's in line to become the next great leader of their clan, and isn't keen on the idea - not least because he's only one-quarter yokai by blood and doubts his ability to exercise any powers.

The story introduces his closest yokai friends, an adorable chibi-Yuki-onna, and Kubinashi, a boy whose head floats above his body without benefit of neck. And there are more, serving as bodyguards when he goes to school, and witnesses to Rikuo's first transformation: a near-tragedy triggers it, and his clan takes hope that he WILL be the next Nurarihyon - until, 15 minutes later, he changes back.

There's a delightfully creepy character called Gagoze, all sneering fanged grin and obvious malice, who wants to be the new leader instead of this weakling. He also emphasizes the scary/evil side of yokai behavior, while Rikuo wants yokai and humans to be friends.

Among Rikuo's challenges: his classmates, who of course have no idea that he's part yokai, range from being terrified of them to being fascinated by them - to wanting to capture or destroy them. An expedition into a supposedly-haunted old building shows Rikuo's growing awareness of the many yokai in residence, lots of them dangerous, while the human students are increasingly disappointed to find nothing there - until the actual attack begins! (Not to worry - though Rikuo himself can't transform this time, he does have backup, much to his surprise.)

There are many more characters, with only some getting much page-time here; Zen is especially interesting, a yokai specializing in the ability to produce poisons from his own body - though it's made him weak and will eventually cause his death. And the huge, hulking bodyguard who tries to look human enough to pass in the real world - and is promptly adopted by a local biker gang as their new leader!

By the end of this volume, several years have passed, and Rikuo has transformed once more - and claimed his right to be leader; but he still can't hold the transformation for very long, and this weakness is drawing more enemies in. When they realize Rikuo's fondness for humans, a hostage-situation arises; will Rikuo give up his claim??

[There's an anime that looks pretty good.]

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Released 2 yrs ago (12/14/2016 UTC) at Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I'm adding this to spacedog's Manga/graphic novel bookbox, which will be on its way soon. Hope someone enjoys it!

*** Released as part of the 2016 TV Series release challenge. ***

Journal Entry 3 by wingHI77wing at Fort Myers, Florida USA on Wednesday, January 25, 2017
A guy that wears his humanity,

like coat that's
only for the winter time.

Journal Entry 4 by wingHI77wing at Fort Myers, Florida USA on Monday, November 27, 2017
I liked the cover on this one. I also like Yokai. :)

So I had high hopes for this one. It has a slow start and tends to follow the formula common in manga with a character that is a 'loser' that suddenly changes. I don't think it's horrible, I did find it fun.

But I also found it average. Not that I wouldn't keep reading if I ran across more volumes, but I don't think I'm willing to seek them out.

Journal Entry 5 by wingHI77wing at Fort Myers, Florida USA on Tuesday, December 05, 2017

Released 1 yr ago (12/4/2017 UTC) at Fort Myers, Florida USA

This lucky little book has become part of nimrodiel's Manga & Graphic novel bookbox! :)

As usual, I'm trying to put a variety of types in here, so there's lots of stuff that people haven't seen before. This one qualifies I think!

Hope it finds a new reader! ;)

Journal Entry 6 by wingnimrodielwing at Evanston, Illinois USA on Tuesday, December 12, 2017
This came back in my manga & graphic novel book box.

Journal Entry 7 by wingnimrodielwing at Evanston, Illinois USA on Friday, November 30, 2018
I thought that this was a fun little book. I loved the yoki illustrations throughout the book. I was a bit bummed that this volume ended with a cliffhanger, so I might see if my library can get the next volume. This is definitely something that I would not have picked up on my own, so thanks for sharing it and passing it along in my Manga book box HI77

Journal Entry 8 by wingnimrodielwing at -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Tuesday, April 23, 2019

Released 2 mos ago (4/22/2019 UTC) at -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

adding to my manga & graphic novel book box.

Journal Entry 9 by wingSpatialwing at Arlington, Virginia USA on Wednesday, May 22, 2019
✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩

Chosen from nimrodiel's Manga/Graphic Novel Bookbox. Journal book here.

✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩

Journal Entry 10 by wingSpatialwing at Arlington, Virginia USA on Thursday, May 30, 2019
I really enjoyed this one and can’t wait to find out what happens in the next volume! It’s sad Nura doesn’t remember the transformations. Will he begin to in future volumes? As of now, it’s more like they are 2 different people. Would the human side, Nura, be lost forever if he transformed for good? Not that he will ever stay 100% yokai.

Journal Entry 11 by wingSpatialwing at Pentagon Row in Arlington, Virginia USA on Thursday, May 30, 2019

Released 1 mo ago (5/30/2019 UTC) at Pentagon Row in Arlington, Virginia USA

✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩

Left on outdoor couch next to the fire pit in Pentagon Row’s outdoor area.