All the Names

by Jose Saramago, Margaret Costa | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by weiterferne of Houston, Texas USA on 4/14/2014
Journal Entry 1 by weiterferne from Houston, Texas USA on Monday, April 14, 2014
From the back cover:

Senhor José is a low-grade clerk in the Central Registry of an unnamed city, a department where the living and the dead share the same shelf space. A middle-aged bachelor, he has no interest in life beyond his daily routine of issuing certificates of birth, marriage, and death. But one day, when he chances upon the records of an anonymous young woman, something happens to him. Senhor José, newly obsessed, sets off to follow the thread that may lead him to the woman. Bus as he gets ever closer, he discovers more about her - and about himself - than he would ever have wished. This extraordinary novel by one of the world's greatest writers displays all of Saramago's power and art in brilliant form.

This was the first novel from Saramago for me. And indeed - what an extraordinary writer. The story captured me on all levels, had strong visual descriptions sketching the sphere and a strong end. One of the discoveries during my Nobel price winner reading journey!