The Age of Innocence*1001-listed*

by Wharton, Edith | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingBoekentrolwing of Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on 4/10/2014
Journal Entry 1 by wingBoekentrolwing from Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Thursday, April 10, 2014
Synopsis:
"The Age of Innocence is a portrait of desire and betrayal during the sumptuous Golden Age of Old New York, a time when society people “dreaded scandal more than disease.”

This is Newland Archer’s world as he prepares to marry the beautiful but conventional May Welland. But when the mysterious Countess Ellen Olenska returns to New York after a disastrous marriage, Archer falls deeply in love with her. Torn between duty and passion, Archer struggles to make a decision that will either courageously define his life—or mercilessly destroy it."

Journal Entry 2 by wingBoekentrolwing at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Wednesday, April 08, 2020
This was an okay book to me. Not very spectacular or hugely interesting. To me the story just went on, without much of a depth and a high, just like a river flowing quietly. What I liked best, is that the ways of those days passed were told in the way the main characters behaved themselves. Of course it is a rather sad story, but I can't help to think that it's 'their own fault'. Or would that be too much of looking with today's eyes on a story/situation long gone?

Released 3 mos ago (4/10/2020 UTC) at Paddy O'Ryan. Irish pub in Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands

In the green bookcase outside the side entrance of Paddy's.

Congratulations--you caught a book!

If you have not already done so, please make a journal entry so we know this book has found a new home. You don't need to join BookCrossing and you can remain completely anonymous. However, we encourage you to join so that you can follow this book's future travels. It's fun and free, and your personal information will never be shared or sold.