Ghost Stories and Mysterious Creatures of British Columbia

by Barbara Smith | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by winglinguistkriswing of Remscheid, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on 4/4/2014
Journal Entry 1 by winglinguistkriswing from Remscheid, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Friday, April 04, 2014
Bought as a part of my current mission to scour betterworldbook's bargain bin of ghost books. :)

Journal Entry 2 by winglinguistkriswing at Solingen, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Friday, May 08, 2015
This is novel: finally an author who doesn't seem to think that phenomena is the singular, but who uses phenomenon in the plural! (Seriously, how can this be so difficult to native speakers of a language that has forms like oxen, mice or dice?)

Otherwise, the first few stories are quite nice and well-written (apart from the usual floweriness that seems to come with the genre). Much looking forward to the rest of the book.

Journal Entry 3 by winglinguistkriswing at Solingen, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Tuesday, May 12, 2015
Hum. The verbose writing is really starting to get on my nerves. What annoys me even more is the sloppy research, presenting easily falsifiable stories as true, and generally keeping stories extremely vague (out of purported respect for the sources), making it extremely difficult to find out more about the few ones that are interesting enough to make me curious for more.

Journal Entry 4 by winglinguistkriswing at Solingen, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Wednesday, May 20, 2015
I much enjoyed the stories in this collection, but towards the end, I increasingly struggled with Smith's style of writing (as indicated in the previous journal entry).
As a huge fan of cryptozoology, I was especially looking forward to the final section of the book dealing with "mysterious creatures", and I cannot believe Barbara Smith managed to render the story of Albert Ostman as something so sterile and boring. Even the simplest children's book is better at retelling it.
Still, a lovely collection, but it could have greatly profitted from some rigorous editing. Also, for people not intimately familiar with the topography of BC, a map would have been nice.

Journal Entry 5 by winglinguistkriswing at Sweepstakes, by mail -- Controlled Releases on Monday, July 18, 2016

Released 2 yrs ago (7/18/2016 UTC) at Sweepstakes, by mail -- Controlled Releases

I am very sorry this took so long, but my spooky books were hiding in some of the bottom moving boxes. I hope you'll enjoy this as much as I did!

Journal Entry 6 by winglinguistkriswing at RABCK, by mail -- Controlled Releases on Monday, July 18, 2016

Released 2 yrs ago (7/18/2016 UTC) at RABCK, by mail -- Controlled Releases