The Bookshop

by Penelope Fitzgerald | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingbookstogivewing of Springville, Tennessee USA on 4/2/2014
Journal Entry 1 by wingbookstogivewing from Springville, Tennessee USA on Wednesday, April 02, 2014

Amazon Editorial Review

In 1959 Florence Green, a kindhearted widow with a small inheritance, risks everything to open a bookshop - the only bookshop - in the seaside town of Hardborough. By making a success of a business so impractical, she invites the hostility of the town's less prosperous shopkeepers. By daring to enlarge her neighbors' lives, she crosses Mrs. Gamart, the local arts doyenne. Florence's warehouse leaks, her cellar seeps, and the shop is apparently haunted. Only too late does she begin to suspect the truth: a town that lacks a bookshop isn't always a town that wants one.

Journal Entry 2 by wingbookstogivewing at Fort Myers, Florida USA on Tuesday, November 03, 2015

Released 3 yrs ago (11/3/2015 UTC) at Fort Myers, Florida USA

Released as a selection from the General Lit VBB, Happy Reading!

To the finder of this book:

BookCrossing is free to join and a great deal of fun, completely confidential, and you may remain anonymous. If you choose to join please consider using me BOOKSTOGIVE as your referring member.

Journal Entry 3 by wingDove-i-Libriwing at Fort Myers, Florida USA on Saturday, November 14, 2015
Hi! Rec'd this book in the mail today as part of BookstoGive's General Literature Virtual BookBox! (Link Here)

Thanks for hosting this book box and for sending the book along! I have no idea when I'll get to it, but I promise to make a journal entry when I've read it!

January 25, 2016: Short list for 2016's Reduce Mount TBR Challenge! Will be reserved for a special book ring.

February 1, 2016: Starting this book.

March 4, 2016: Had to put this down to do some serious reading for church classes and for work, so we are a little bit stalled in the area of reducing that mountain of books "To Be Read." Will get back to reading for enjoyment soon.

March 26, 2016: A sad ending. Set aside to share.

Aug 16, 2016: Being sent out into the world to travel as part of Iwillrejoice's ABC Authors Book Rings - US version - Letter F.

Journal Entry 4 by wingNancyNovawing at Lansdale, Pennsylvania USA on Saturday, September 03, 2016
chosen from the "F" author bookring

Journal Entry 5 by wingNancyNovawing at Lansdale, Pennsylvania USA on Saturday, April 28, 2018
bookbox; set in a fictional english tiny economically depressed tiny town, Florence takes on renovating an old house into a bookstore and lending library. Some townfolk cheer her on, others trying to thwart the effort.
Will travel along in a bookring

Released 1 yr ago (4/28/2018 UTC) at ~ Iwillrejoice's ABC (Alphabet) Bookrings - US version, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

moving along in the "B" bookring

If you aren't familiar with Bookcrossing, take a few minutes to check out this very cool site. Bookcrossers LOVE books, and more than anything, they love to read books and then set them free for other people to find and enjoy. I would love it if you would leave a journal entry -- you can say where you found the book or how you liked it when you read it. Then, when you are ready, pass it along for someone else to enjoy! Thanks and happy reading!

Rec'd this book as part of Iwillrejoice's "ABC (Alphabet) Bookrings - US version - Books Beginning with the Letter B - Round 2" (Link).

I'm laughing, because this book has "been this way before!"

I didn't choose to keep this book, so it was mailed out on 5/8/18 to the next participant, "heartthumper. "

USPS Tracking Number: 9549 0265 2996 8128 0753 93

☺ Happy Traveling, Book! ☺

Journal Entry 8 by wingheartthumperwing at Hutchinson, Kansas USA on Wednesday, May 16, 2018
Chosen from the ABC bookring, Books beginning with "B".

Released 12 mos ago (5/26/2018 UTC) at I-70 rest stop at or near Burlington in Burlington, Colorado USA

Left on the bookshelf at the Colorado Welcome Center.