American Thighs: The Sweet Potato Queens' Guide to Preserving Your Assets

by Jill Conner Browne | Humor |
Registered by wingBkind2bookswing of Clarksville, Tennessee USA on 3/22/2014
Journal Entry 1 by wingBkind2bookswing from Clarksville, Tennessee USA on Saturday, March 22, 2014
A generous wishlist tag RABCK from my long-time Bookcrossing friend MyssCyn - this one came in the mail today - thank you!

Journal Entry 2 by wingBkind2bookswing at Clarksville, Tennessee USA on Monday, April 21, 2014
I am probably JCB's ideal demographic - 50ish (heavy on the ish) Southern woman. I love these essays, quite likely because if I haven't lived them, I know someone who has. The SPQs take on life and love is very much spot-on. Parts were just worthy of a grin, while others had me rolling in the floor. Bless your hearts, if you don't understand…and I mean that in the nicest way.

Quotes to remember:

MOST women DO go for regular checkups - guys, as a rule, won't go until something blows up or falls off in their hand.

Today, I'm not so much interested in going to a nude beach - I would love to find a BLIND one, though.

Ahhh, my South - home of sweet tea, tall porches with ceiling fans, warm hospitality, and the most gracious hostility.

Failure to Frolic is a major cause of regret later in life.

Finally an SPQ recipe:

Pineapple Vodka: Get 8 or 10 (20 ounce) cans of pineapple rings packed in juice (not syrup). Drain the juice off as much as possible. Dump into a big container and pour a liter of good vodka over it. Put a lid on the container & store in the refrigerator & let sit there for 1 week. Drain off vodka and pour over ice. Some people freeze the pineapple rings and put in Sierra Mist; or can discard.

Journal Entry 3 by wingBkind2bookswing at Clarksville, Tennessee USA on Monday, June 23, 2014

Released 6 yrs ago (6/23/2014 UTC) at Clarksville, Tennessee USA

Sending to JennyC1230 for the Bio/Humor VBB

Journal Entry 4 by JennyC1230 at Woodstock, Georgia USA on Monday, June 30, 2014
Sent from Bkind2Books for my: Virtual Biography/Auto-Biography/Humor Bookbox.

I have read a few of the Sweet Potato Queens' books, their Southern women's sense of humor is wonderful. I've tried a similar recipe to the Pineapple Vodka one with fresh pineapple, cut into chunks and rum poured over it. Yum!

Journal Entry 5 by JennyC1230 at Woodstock, Georgia USA on Thursday, April 16, 2015
I'm taking this one out of the Virtual Biography/Auto-Biography/Humor Bookbox.

I love the Sweet Potato Queens and I haven't read this book before so I swapped it out for another book for the VBB.

Journal Entry 6 by JennyC1230 at Woodstock, Georgia USA on Sunday, July 19, 2015
My Review: As always, the Sweet Potato Queens' Great Goddess Jill Connor Browne has humor, fun and plain old common sense mixed into all her stories, recipes, etc.

I took this book to Navarre Beach, Florida and read most of it on the way home as we drove through Alabama and Georgia. My own Cutest Boy in the World did most of the driving, so that I could sit and smile while reading this book.

Here are two of the most interesting recipes found inside the book that I want to try someday:

Queen of the Night Salsa 2.0
1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 (11 oz) can Niblets corn
1 small can chopped green chilies
1 small can chopped black olives
2 to 3 chopped fresh tomatoes
8 oz. or more of Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
1 bunch green onions, chopped
cilantro (fresh or dried, to taste)
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. cumin
1/2 to 3/4 of a 16 ounce bottle of Wishbone Robusto Italian dressing
whole big lot of chopped up cooked bacon (Obviously, the more bacon, the better--duh)
Chill all that overnight in the fridge and then eat it all at one sitting the next day with Fritos.

Little Larva's Homicidal Maniac and Cheese

2 lbs. of macaroni, cooked
6 slices of thick sliced bacon, cooked and chopped (or more)
1/2 stick butter
2 cups Gruyere cheese, shredded
1 1/2 cups milk
1 can Cheddar cheese soup
3 cups extra sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
1 tsp. dry mustard
1 cup sour cream

Melt butter and Gruyere cheese in the milk. Now dump your cooked macaroni in your crock pot. Pour in the soup, dry mustard, sour cream. Then add the milk/butter/Gruyere mixture and stir it all up together and crumble up all the bacon in it, too. Turn the crock pot on low for about 3 hours--you can use that time to set your affairs in order, write your will, lay out your burial clothes, etc. Then eat up!

Journal Entry 7 by JennyC1230 at Woodstock, Georgia USA on Friday, September 18, 2015

Journal Entry 8 by JennyC1230 at Woodstock, Georgia USA on Wednesday, April 20, 2016
This book hasn't been chosen, so I'm taking it out of the Non-fiction VBB.

Journal Entry 9 by JennyC1230 at SoHo Bagel OBCZ - Towne Lake Parkway in Woodstock, Georgia USA on Saturday, October 15, 2016

Released 4 yrs ago (10/15/2016 UTC) at SoHo Bagel OBCZ - Towne Lake Parkway in Woodstock, Georgia USA

Left on the bookshelf when picking up our favorite: Chinatown Chicken Salad for lunch. Enjoy the book!