The Two Pound Tram

by William Newton | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by stephjb of Torquay, Devon United Kingdom on 3/7/2014
Journal Entry 1 by stephjb from Torquay, Devon United Kingdom on Friday, March 07, 2014
Swapped for on the book exchange shelves at Camping Sopalmo, Spain.

Journal Entry 2 by stephjb at Mojácar, Almería Spain on Friday, March 07, 2014
Judging by other reviews on Amazon, this is a Marmite book that people either adore or don't get at all. Personally, I'm in the 'underwhelmed' camp! The story is an fanciful tale of two boys running away from home and buying an ancient horse-drawn tram with which they make their living. So far, so good, but I found the book so lacking in emotional detail and depth that the events described were unbelievable. The boys seem to easily float from one town to another and when crises do occur, there's always a helpful adult on hand to make everything ok again. I lost count of how many chickens the boys stole with no comeback at all! I did enjoy the local interest aspect as much of the story takes place in Worthing which I know quite well, but this wasn't enough to redeem the book.

Journal Entry 3 by stephjb at Camping Sopalmo in Mojácar, Almería Spain on Friday, March 07, 2014

Released 7 yrs ago (3/7/2014 UTC) at Camping Sopalmo in Mojácar, Almería Spain

On the book exchange shelves in Recepcion