Orange Is the New Black: My Year in a Women's Prison

by Piper Kerman | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by nada50 of Baltimore, Ontario Canada on 2/27/2014
Journal Entry 1 by nada50 from Baltimore, Ontario Canada on Thursday, February 27, 2014
Interesting look into a minimum security prison. Read it for my workplace book club - glad they recommended it!

Journal Entry 2 by nada50 at Cravings Market Restaurant in Calgary, Alberta Canada on Thursday, February 27, 2014

Released 6 yrs ago (3/8/2014 UTC) at Cravings Market Restaurant in Calgary, Alberta Canada

Enjoy & pass along!

Journal Entry 3 by BookyMcBooks at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, March 08, 2014
Picked this up at the Calgary March BookCrossing meetup.

Journal Entry 4 by BookyMcBooks at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, May 10, 2014
This was a pretty enjoyable read. It showed a perspective of prison that I haven't seen too often before.

Journal Entry 5 by BookyMcBooks at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, May 10, 2014

Released 6 yrs ago (5/10/2014 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

I was planning on bringing this back to the May bookcrossing meetup, but Crataegus snatched this up promptly after I finished it.

Journal Entry 6 by Crataegus at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, May 24, 2014
Placed on Mt. TBR. Will get to this soon (hopefully)!!

Journal Entry 7 by Crataegus at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, June 29, 2014
A very interesting book from a new perspective. Piper has a lot of interesting views on the justice system and how some crimes should be handled. Based on her experiences she has a pretty good point of view. I wonder what happened to the other ladies after they were released. Especially since they aren't given many resources after they leave.

I'm tempted to try the prison cheesecake recipe.

Will be brought to the next Calgary BookCrossing meetup and handed off to the next person in line.

Journal Entry 8 by sing-song at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, July 12, 2014
I picked this up at the July meeting at Cravings. Love the short ones!

Journal Entry 9 by sing-song at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, November 08, 2014
Interesting read- got me started watching the Netflix version. Quite a difference between the two. Liked how the book showed how she changed during her time and some of the interactions.

Journal Entry 10 by sing-song at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, November 08, 2014

Released 5 yrs ago (11/8/2014 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Time to take my very tiny stash of books I have read this month to the November meeting of BookCrossing.

Journal Entry 11 by sing-song at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, March 14, 2015

Released 5 yrs ago (3/14/2015 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

I am taking this book to the March meeting of the Calgary BookCrossing group.

Journal Entry 12 by Crossing-Guard at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Tuesday, March 17, 2015
Picked up at the March Calgary meet up. Adding to my TBR pile.

Journal Entry 13 by Crossing-Guard at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, March 12, 2016
This was a fascinating look at what it is like in a women's prison. I really enjoyed this book, it was neat to meet all these different women and learn about how daily life was. I am so glad I have the freedom to get up when I want, go to bed when I want and just leave the house when I want to.

I have seen the show that was based on this book and I have to say that this book provides a much sunnier look to things. Overall I thought Piper was treated much better by her fellow inmates right from the start but I guess they need more drama on TV.

Journal Entry 14 by Crossing-Guard at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, March 12, 2016

Journal Entry 15 by Crossing-Guard at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, March 12, 2016

Released 4 yrs ago (3/12/2016 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Taking this to today's Calgary meet up.

Journal Entry 16 by crossingguardma at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Thursday, March 17, 2016
Safely in my hands....

Journal Entry 17 by crossingguardma at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Wednesday, April 20, 2016
A very interesting read. Some parts were as I thought prison would be but certainly not others. It sickens me to think of the power that the staff would use, inappropriately, and I was surprised at how the women worked together to help each other survive. Not. Like in Tv!

Like crataegus I am thinking I should try the cheesecake recipe!

Now to watch it on Netflix.

Journal Entry 18 by crossingguardma at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, May 14, 2016

Released 4 yrs ago (5/14/2016 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

No one at book meetup wanted the book so I passed on to LJ

Journal Entry 19 by B-Lynn at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Wednesday, May 16, 2018
To be read

Journal Entry 20 by B-Lynn at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, August 04, 2018

Released 2 yrs ago (8/4/2018 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

This book is not anything like the TV series however I never got that interested in it to read the entire book. There are some settings and subject matters that are not of interest and this is one of them.

Bringing back to the next meeting.