Alone in Berlin

by Hans Fallada | Literature & Fiction | This book has not been rated.
ISBN: 014118938X Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingrainbow3wing of Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on 2/24/2014
Journal Entry 1 by wingrainbow3wing from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, February 24, 2014
ALONE IN BERLIN (aka Every Man Dies Alone) by HANS FALLADA
ISBN: 978-0-141-18938-3
Publisher: Penguin (2009)

Cover: ‘Utterly gripping… a masterpiece’ JUSTIN CARTWRIGHT
‘Extraordinary … redemptive’ DAILY TELEGRAPH

BERLIN, 1940. THE CITY IS PARALYSED BY FEAR. BUT ONE MAN REFUSES TO BE SCARED.

Otto, an ordinary German living in a shabby apartment block, tries to stay out of trouble under Nazi rule. But when he discovers his only son has been killed fighting at the front he’s shocked into an extraordinary act of resistance, and starts to drop anonymous postcards attacking Hitler across the city. If caught, he will be executed. Soon this silent campaign come to the attention of ambitious Gestapo inspector Escherich, and a murderous game of cat-and-mouse begins. Whoever loses, pays with their life.

'One of the most extraordinary and compelling novels written about World War II. Ever' ALAN FURST
'Terrific ... a fast-moving, important and astutely deadpan thriller' IRISH TIMES
'An unrivalled and vivid portrait of life in wartime Berlin' PHILIP KERR
'To read Fallada's testament to the darkest years of the 20th century is to be accompanied by a wise, sombre ghost who grips your shoulder and whispers into your ear: "This is how it was. This is what happened"' THE NEW YORK TIMES
---------------------

Inspired by a true story, Hans Fallada's Alone in Berlin is the gripping tale of an ordinary man's determination to defy the tyranny of Nazi rule. Memorably this Penguin Classics edition contains an afterword by Geoff Wilkes, as well as facsimiles of the original Gestapo file which inspired the novel.

Hans Fallada (1893-1947) was one of the best-known German writers of the twentieth century. Born Rudolf Wilhelm Adolf Ditzen, he took his pen name from a Brothers Grimm fairy tale. His most famous works include the novels Little Man, What Now? and The Drinker. Fallada died from an overdose of morphine on 5 February 1947 in Berlin.

ALONE IN BERLIN was first published in 1947 as 'Jeder stribt fur sich allein'.

Journal Entry 2 by wingrainbow3wing at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Tuesday, May 06, 2014
‘At the house on 55 Jablonski Strasse, its various occupants try to live under Nazi rule in their different ways: the bullying Hitler loyalists the Persickes, the retired judge Fromm and the unassuming couple Otto and Anna Quangel. Then the Quangels receive the news that their beloved son has been killed fighting in France. Shocked out of their quiet existence, they begin a silent campaign of defiance, and a deadly game of cat and mouse develops between the Quangels and the ambitious Gestapo inspector Escherich. When petty criminals Kluge and Borkhausen also become involved, deception, betrayal and murder ensue, tightening the noose around the Quangels' necks ...’ From Penguin, Modern Classics
---------------------
Commanding complex writing, one just knows that it rings with authenticity, even without having read it was based on a true story. Quite riveting and chilling I’ve read this briskly and I’ll admit not completely, instead dotting in and out to spend hours caught here and there. It is not very chirpy and light and chirpy is the order of the day for me right now. Though bought and registered in order to send it to another reader, as a BookCrossing-Random-Act-of-Kindness (RABCK) surprise, only at the last gasp did I discover that reader has it already. I’m delighted he thought it brilliant as it shows my choice was spot on… even if too late. Now to find another reader who would find it of interest? Perhaps a trawl of wish-lists may unearth a reader happy to skip off with this?

Released 5 yrs ago (5/6/2014 UTC) at -- Wild Released somewhere in Edinburgh in Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom

Actually nipped through this in early April and had labelled it up read for a wild release on Monday 21 of April 2014 the first ever International BookCrossing Day but oops it was placed in the wrong book bag and I still have it now off it goes travelling today as I think I know another reader who would be interested in it.
---------------------

Hello book finder, if you aren't familiar with BookCrossing – WELCOME! I hope you will enjoy this book and make a little journal entry! You can leave notes anonymously. When you are done with it, perhaps you will send it on its way. Check out BookCrossing - it's a fun community of readers! HAPPY READING

PS And if you find yourself liking BookCrossing, Edinburgh has an active group of BookCrossers who meet monthly (first Thursday of the month) at Hemma, a Swedish bar near the Scottish Parliament in central Edinburgh on 75 Holyrood Road, EH8 8AE Come join us! For more information, see our Meet-Up Group http://www.meetup.com/bookswapedinburgh!