corner corner The Turn of the Screw

The Turn of the Screw
by Henry James | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingApoloniaXwing of Lalitpur, Bagmati Nepal on 2/20/2014

status (set by Rochester74): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingApoloniaXwing from Lalitpur, Bagmati Nepal on Thursday, February 20, 2014

The Turn of the Screw, originally published in 1898, is a ghost story novella written by Henry James.
Due to its ambiguous content, it became a favourite text of academics who subscribe to New Criticism. The novella has had differing interpretations, often mutually exclusive. Many critics have tried to determine the exact nature of the evil hinted at by the story. However, others have argued that the true brilliance of the novella comes with its ability to create an intimate confusion and suspense for the reader.
(Wikipedia)

Journal Entry 2 by wingApoloniaXwing at Bremen, Bremen Germany on Monday, March 10, 2014

Released 3 yrs ago (3/11/2014 UTC) at Bremen, Bremen Germany

Birthday wishlist surprise.
Happy reading!

Journal Entry 3 by redfox5 at Sandhurst, Berkshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, April 09, 2014

Yay Bookcrossing Birthday presents! I always love opening yours because I never know whats going to be in the box where as I always kinda pick what else I'm getting from family and friends. No fake bugs this year :P

A big thank you. Not one but 5 wishlist books! :) And all the cool stuff that came with it (see photo) I especailly love the money napkins and that you got my cat a toy. :) That was very thoughtful.

hehe this always happens to me on my birthday or christmas. I always get two of the same book. Another bc beat you to it. This one has a far better cover though and it smells nice. I will find it a happy reader.

Journal Entry 4 by redfox5 at By Mail, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Released 3 yrs ago (5/13/2014 UTC) at By Mail, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases

Granting wishes and keeping them moving :)

Journal Entry 5 by 4evagreen at Furness Vale, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Thursday, May 15, 2014

This book was waiting for me when I got in from work. What a lovely surprise. Many thanks I look forward to reading it.

Journal Entry 6 by 4evagreen at High Peak, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, December 02, 2014

“No, no—there are depths, depths! The more I go over it, the more I see in it, and the more I see in it, the more I fear. I don’t know what I don’t see—what I don’t fear!”

This is my first Henry James book (novella really) and having read it has left me with very mixed feelings about so much so that I actually finished it much earlier in the day and have left it until now to write a review.As I swing from aversion to admiration.

Firstly I found it a little difficult to read,the syntax with its use or perhaps that should be over-use of commas was initially baffling as by the time that I'd finished the sentence my mind had wandered and I had totally forgotten what it was all about so had to re-read it.Despite the brevity of the book the language used was certainly densely packed. Then there was the proliferation of adjectives describing the children (angelic,sweet,beautiful etc) which was initially entrancing but eventually annoying and felt that their innocence had been over-laboured to put it mildly.

An interesting worthwhile read that constantly makes you with an ending that took me totally by surprise and not an easy to put down and pick up at a later date but in the end the syntax won out hence the middling score.

Journal Entry 7 by 4evagreen at Furness Vale, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Monday, November 16, 2015

Released 2 yrs ago (11/16/2015 UTC) at Furness Vale, Derbyshire United Kingdom

Going out as a RABCK. I hope that you haven't already read it. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 8 by Cfreckle at Sheffield, South Yorkshire United Kingdom on Thursday, November 19, 2015

This book arrived through my letterbox this morning. A lovely surprise thank you. x

Journal Entry 9 by Cfreckle at Sheffield, South Yorkshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Released 2 mos ago (9/13/2017 UTC) at Sheffield, South Yorkshire United Kingdom

Sending to the Loughborough Unconvention.

Journal Entry 10 by Pookledo at BCUK UnConvention 2017 in Loughborough, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Released 2 mos ago (9/22/2017 UTC) at BCUK UnConvention 2017 in Loughborough, Leicestershire United Kingdom

Thankyou for posting your book to the Uncon!

Journal Entry 11 by wingRochester74wing at Gießen, Hessen Germany on Thursday, October 05, 2017

I took this book from the bookbuffet at the Convention in Loughborough. I do hope to read it untill my next UK holiday :-)