corner corner 31 Songs

31 Songs
by Nick Hornby | Nonfiction
Registered by mysteriousmummy of Shefford, Bedfordshire United Kingdom on 1/27/2014

status (set by AnonymousFinder): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by mysteriousmummy from Shefford, Bedfordshire United Kingdom on Monday, January 27, 2014

For a book crosser from their wishlist

Journal Entry 2 by mysteriousmummy at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Released 4 yrs ago (1/29/2014 UTC) at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

From a wishlist hope you like it x

Journal Entry 3 by wingredfox5wing at Sandhurst, Berkshire United Kingdom on Friday, January 31, 2014

Thank you for this wishlist book. I'm currently trying not to buy books and I've not brought any in two whole weeks! Well unless you could my travel books but they are practical and don't count. For someone who enjoys buying books it's really hard! But when people send me books, well thats just as good :) Books are always a bonus :D

Journal Entry 4 by wingredfox5wing at Camberley, Surrey United Kingdom on Thursday, November 23, 2017

When I put this on my wishlist, I thought it was a novel. I just read a couple of Hornby's books and decided I wanted to read them all. I was a little disappointed when I discovered it was just him talking about 31 songs he liked, especially when I looked at the list of songs and either don't know or don't like any of them.

But this isn't really about those particular songs. This is a musical journey that pretty much everyone can relate to. Even though the songs are different, they way he's gone through genres at certain stages of life, echos my own.

I laughed out loud when he mentioned starting to look towards country music, as it tends to be like heavy rock music where it's not that mainstream and you still feel like you have something special to you. I am loving country music at the moment, I must have reached that age!

Everyone who starts to notice they are getting older will relate to not understanding the music of today. My niece was playing some rap song for me yesterday, kept going 'boys, not hot'. And I was judging it for being stupid. This book has made me remember that I love the song 'Barbie Girl' and I will sing along to 'The Cheeky Girls' if it's being played. And I'm guessing my parents didn't understood why I liked those tunes, as their parents no doubt didn't understand what they were listening to.

Still can't get over that all the songs I like are now being played on 'Magic' . A radio station that used to be reserved exclusively for songs my mum liked.

Hornby injects his trademark humor into the writing and although I did try and listen to a few of the tracks on youtube, they are not my thing. But that doesn't matter. Like I said before, this is about the relationship people have with music. Very relatable.

Journal Entry 5 by wingredfox5wing at Basingstoke Train Station in Basingstoke, Hampshire United Kingdom on Friday, June 22, 2018

Released 4 mos ago (6/22/2018 UTC) at Basingstoke Train Station in Basingstoke, Hampshire United Kingdom

Left in the Book Exchange Box.

Journal Entry 6 by wingAnonymousFinderwing at Basingstoke, Hampshire United Kingdom on Saturday, June 23, 2018

Passing on to friend who likes Nick Hornby.