Phantom Dream Volume 1

by Natsuki Takaya | Graphic Novels |
Registered by wingk00kaburrawing of San Jose, California USA on 5/17/2015
Journal Entry 1 by wingk00kaburrawing from San Jose, California USA on Sunday, May 17, 2015
My brother's work discarded a box of manga and this was one of the included volumes.

Brooding beneath his girlish good looks and crushing sense of duty, Tamaki Otoya is the last in a line of ancient summoners who (of course) battle the evil forces threatening mankind. He draws strength from his bond with childhood friend Asahi -- the pair is of course deeply in love and awkward with their emotions, as is often the case with childhood friend figures. Soon enough they find themselves immersed in a struggle against demons when Asahi is revealed to be a descendant of the Gekka Family -- a group that Tamaki is destined to destroy.

Journal Entry 2 by wingk00kaburrawing at San Jose, California USA on Wednesday, June 10, 2015
Read a couple of days ago.

I read this comic back in 2010 and wrote the following:

Wow, Takaya's art style sure has evolved over the years! Phantom Dream looks nothing like Fruits Basket. Created earlier in Takaya's career, Phantom Dream sticks to many of the conventions of shoujo manga art, like sparkling eyes and baroque, fussy lines. It's not bad art, but it lacks the subtlety and distinctive look of Takaya's mature work.

The story was OK. The magician/exorcist/summoner is one of the most frequent plot points in manga, so an artist has to really exercise his or her creative skill to make something fresh and new. I didn't really feel that happened here. We have sympathetic ghosts who turn out to be darker and vengeful, but that happens in nearly any supernaturally-themed story. I did find it interesting that Tamaki and Asahi were already in a relationship, so we won't spend half the series waiting for them to get together. That's nice, anyway.

I guess I don't really have that much to add to my original assessment. I thought that I would, but no: art's changed dramatically and the story's not especially engaging. Next!

Released 4 yrs ago (6/10/2015 UTC) at = Book Box in -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

adding to my Manga Bookbox!

Journal Entry 4 by wingAzukiwing at Miami, Florida USA on Friday, December 25, 2015
Picked this from the manga box, because it's by the same author as Fruits Basket. But I wonder if it's an earlier work? The manga's skill feel halfway between a doujinshi and a pro.

Journal Entry 5 by wingAzukiwing at Miami, Florida USA on Thursday, July 27, 2017
I think one good thing about reading this book is, you get to see how much the artist has evolved. Especially as they include a short chapter of Fruit Basket at the end, it's easy to compare, and see how the story telling skill has evolved, and the style too, is rather different.

Really doesn't have much to add to K00kaburra's comment; as she said, an average shoujo manga on a common theme, by an emerging artist.

Journal Entry 6 by wingAzukiwing at Manga / Graphic Novels, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, October 26, 2017

Released 1 yr ago (10/26/2017 UTC) at Manga / Graphic Novels, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases

Putting into bookbox.

Journal Entry 7 by wingnimrodielwing at Evanston, Illinois USA on Tuesday, December 12, 2017
This came back in my manga & graphic novel book box.

Journal Entry 8 by wingnimrodielwing at Evanston, Illinois USA on Tuesday, May 07, 2019
I enjoyed this one. The story was fairly common theme wise. But I did enjoy the artwork even though it is very different from Natsuki Takaya's Fruits Basket. I probably wouldn't have picked this up on my own, but did enjoy the introduction to this story. I don't know that I am going to continue on though.

I'm setting this aside to release during ACEN (Anime Central) in a few weeks.

Journal Entry 9 by wingnimrodielwing at Donald E. Stephens Convention Center in Rosemont, Illinois USA on Saturday, May 18, 2019

Released 5 mos ago (5/18/2019 UTC) at Donald E. Stephens Convention Center in Rosemont, Illinois USA

Released during ACEN. Left on a table in the entertainment hall.