Hot Gimmick, Vol. 2

by Miki Aihara | Graphic Novels |
Registered by wingk00kaburrawing of San Jose, California USA on 5/17/2015
Journal Entry 1 by wingk00kaburrawing from San Jose, California USA on Sunday, May 17, 2015
My brother's work discarded a box of manga and this was one of the included volumes.

I read this in June 2009 and wrote the following:
What is with these characters? Trapped together in company housing, the hormones bouncing off of these teens seems to be corrupting them and driving them nuts! Ryoki is the 'master' of Hatsumi, and in spite of flashes of kindness still seems hell-bent on raping her. Good boy Azusa, on the other hand, reveals a darker, twisted side that seems determined to use and abuse Hatsumi, although she remains oblivious to this cruel streak. Hatsumi just doesn't seem to know what to make of any of it, so she's endearing but useless.

Yet I can't stop reading. I'm enjoying every minute of the soap opera histrionics.

Product Description
All the girls are excited by the new student - Azusa Odagiri, a model for a famous magazine. What they can't figure out is why he would want to be friends with Hatsumi - or even worse, find her attractive. Meanwhile, Hatsumi and her sister Akane are accosted by Mrs. Tachibana, followed by Ryouki, who reminds Hatsumi that if she forgets she is his slave, he will be happy to reminder her. Later, some of the girls corner Hatsumi to discourage her from pursuing him. Then Ryouki orders her to his apartment and tells her she must sleep with him. Ryouki is surprised when his "slave" punches him, but he's even more shocked when the doorbell rings and a pretty woman walks in.

Released 4 yrs ago (5/17/2015 UTC) at = Book Box in -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

adding to my Manga bookbox!

Journal Entry 3 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, June 27, 2015
When I saw several volumes of this series in the bookbox I was torn - some aspects of the story don't appeal to me, and yet I'm still curious. So I'm taking a couple of volumes and leaving others for someone else, and if I find that I really like the series I'll just have to hunt up the rest later.

Later: Yeah, OK, this one's rather problematic. Our young heroine Hatsumi seems to be the typical shy high-school girl with love problems, but it's way worse than that: she's currently under some kind of blackmail-related obligation to Ryoki, a handsome student who is clearly obsessed with Hatsumi but shows it by coercion (and, later in this volume, by some VERY creepy taking-advantage-of-semi-conscious-girl). But just when I'd figured he was the villain, and was cheering Hatsumi on for making SOME attempt to get closer to her preferred guy, stunningly-handsome Azusa, I find out that Azusa has some very nefarious plans for her himself, by way of vengeance against her father (who Azusa seems to blame for breaking up his own family). So we have two creepy guys who seem to take turns "rescuing" Hatsumi from each other, while she's in love with one and afraid of the other...

The nicest guy in her immediate circle is Shinogu, who seems very fond of her indeed, but he's her brother - or so she thinks! [da-da-DUNNNN!]

The artwork's good, and there's plenty of drama, so I'm not flunking this series, but at the moment I can only hope that somehow Hatsumi finds a way to drop both Azusa and Ryoki, if not outright get them arrested, the creeps.

[There's a TV Tropes page on the series. And it turns out I'm not the only one annoyed at the "love interests"!]

Released 4 yrs ago (7/25/2015 UTC) at Christopher's Subs and Pizza, 264 Main Dunstable in Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I left this book in the reading-for-customers rack inside Christopher's at around 2 or so; hope the finder enjoys it!

*** Released as part of the 2015 Keep Them Moving release challenge. ***