Angel Sanctuary, Vol. 1

by Kaori Yuki | Graphic Novels |
Registered by k00kaburra of San Jose, California USA on 5/17/2015
Journal Entry 1 by k00kaburra from San Jose, California USA on Sunday, May 17, 2015
My brother's work discarded a box of manga and this was one of the included volumes.

I read this in 2009 and wrote the following: While Kaori Yuki remains a master at color art (in my opinion anyway!) with gorgeous portraits of her characters, the black and white panels are crowded and confused. But a major reason I re-acquired this book was that I always wanted to know what happened next, and having finished Vol. 1 I still feel that desire. So off to find Vol. 2!

Product Description
When Sara¹s classmate, Ruri, received a computer disk from a strange man, Setsuna shows up to whisk her away from him. After lecturing Ruri about talking to weirdos, Setsuna comments she¹s much cuter without glasses, which she dropped in the confusion. Unfortunately, neither of them have been watching the news which reports of mysterious deaths occurring in connection with the CD-ROM "Digital Angels." The disk Ruri received is this same "Digital Angels" disk, and without knowing the danger, Setsuna lets her keep it. As soon as Ruri uses the program, her personality starts to change, and strange things begin to happen as Evils and angels seek the Setsuna¹s soul for their own mysterious motives....

Released 4 yrs ago (5/17/2015 UTC) at = Book Box in -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

adding to my Manga Bookbox!

Journal Entry 3 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, June 27, 2015
I've read this one before, so I'm leaving it in the bookbox, but wanted to add my comments.

The artwork's very pretty, and some of the ideas are interesting - an angel looking for his lost love who's been reincarnated and now lives in the body of a teenage boy, who is not keen on being stalked by a short-tempered angelic being. There's a lot of mood whiplash here, with moments of comedy bumping up against maimings and mind-control and general angst, and I can't say I got caught up in the story - much as I wanted to; there's some beautiful artwork that's worth the price of the book!

[The TV Tropes page has some entertaining info on the series.]

Journal Entry 4 by wingAzukiwing at Miami, Florida USA on Friday, December 25, 2015
Picked this from the manga box. Thanks for sharing. I think this was a famous series from way back?

Journal Entry 5 by wingAzukiwing at Miami, Florida USA on Sunday, June 11, 2017
I read this to send to the winner (who turns out to be the decoy) of the manga sweep, but upon finishing the book I am not sure if it's good enough for it, so I ended up reading and sending another book.

While the concept sounds interesting and promising, the delivery is problematic. It's hard to tell apart the characters and keep the plot straight. I guess part of it is because I presume angels are good and demons evil, which is not necessarily true here. The part about Setsuna's love for his sister is well done though, and for that along I may pick up future volumes to see what happen to them. The fight among the angels... that I don't care much for.

Now set aside for the next manga box.

Journal Entry 6 by wingnimrodielwing at Evanston, Illinois USA on Tuesday, December 12, 2017
This came back in my manga & graphic novel book box.

Journal Entry 7 by wingnimrodielwing at Evanston, Illinois USA on Sunday, December 02, 2018
This was an odd little story. I see that it is 20 volumes long and as I found the plot kind of uninspiring, even though it could have been mind blowingly good based on the premise of the premise. I won't be continuing the story. But thanks for sharing it with me Azuki, I would not have picked it up more than likely, and it was worth reading to see if it was something that I would be interested in.

Journal Entry 8 by wingnimrodielwing at -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Tuesday, April 23, 2019

Released 2 mos ago (4/22/2019 UTC) at -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

adding to my manga & graphic novel book box.

Journal Entry 9 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, May 14, 2019
This one looks like it's been the rounds, so I'm claiming it from the Manga and Graphic Novel bookbox (bookbox journal here).

Journal Entry 10 by wingGoryDetailswing at Little Free Library, Exeter Rd in Hampton, New Hampshire USA on Thursday, May 16, 2019

Released 2 mos ago (5/16/2019 UTC) at Little Free Library, Exeter Rd in Hampton, New Hampshire USA

I left this book in this lovely new Little Free Library in Hampton NH; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

*** Released for the 2019 Keep Them Moving release challenge. ***