Let it Bleed

by Ian Rankin | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by winggypsysmomwing of Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on 1/19/2014
Journal Entry 1 by winggypsysmomwing from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Sunday, January 19, 2014
I've read all the Rebus books since The Falls but that was the 13th in the series. I had managed to get my hands on all the books from used book stores but this one. When my niece gave me a gift certificate for McNally Robinson for Christmas 2013 I knew what I would spend part of it on.

Journal Entry 2 by winggypsysmomwing at Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Friday, November 16, 2018
I have now read all of the Rebus series books except for the last two. The first book I read in the series was The Falls which is #12. Since then I have pretty much read all the following books when they were published but when Rankin retired John Rebus in Exit Music and I thought there wasn't going to be any more in the series (he has since written 5 more) I decided to read all the books before The Falls. Some were harder to obtain than others so it took a while to obtain the complete list. This was the last one that I bought. It's probably a good thing I didn't read this until I was a dedicated fan because this is my least favourite of any books written by Ian Rankin.

It is winter in Edinburgh. Rebus and other police officers have been working on a kidnapping case, the victim being the daughter of a highly placed Edinburgh politician. Kidnappers got in touch with the father and demanded a ransom. When they picked it up the police were waiting and a car chase ensued ending on the bridge that connects Edinburgh and Fife. The kidnappers crashed their car into the guard rail and when Rebus got out of the car he was in and headed toward them the two young men hugged each other and jumped over the bridge landing on a trawler going out to sea. There was no trace of the supposed kidnap victim. Rebus suspects that the two were cashing in on the publicity about the missing girl and when they realized they would go to jail for their hoax they decided to end their lives instead. So suicide is on Rebus' mind when a few days later a just-released prisoner shot himself with a sawed-off shotgun in front of a city councillor. It's a little slow in the CID right then so Rebus wants to investigate this very public suicide. He has to get permission from his one-time lover, Gill Templar, who has been put in charge of the CID temporarily (the former incumbent was badly injured in the car crash on the bridge). Gill is all business with Rebus and makes it clear there will be no resumption of their affair. Rebus is back in his flat having been kicked out of Patience Aitken's house. So he's back to his old lifestyle of work and boozing until he gets suspended for continuing his investigation when told to desist. Then Rebus keeps investigating and boozing using Siobhan Clarke and Brian Holmes to access records when he needs to. He finds details about some high finance schemes for new businesses which get government funding for providing jobs. And someone doesn't want him delving into those schemes. Of course, this just makes Rebus more determined to find out what is going on. It was all very convoluted and I was never quite convinced of the plot. In addition there was an episode where Rebus went back to Patience's house because his daughter Samantha is living with Patience now which gave me a bad taste as Rebus seemed to be willfully malevolent.

There was one sentence in the book that I thought was pure genius. "The streets grew quieter after the students had slouched home on the wings of blasphemy." That and the homage to The Rolling Stones in the title made me give Rankin a little slack for this less than stellar book.

Journal Entry 3 by winggypsysmomwing at Second Cup – Graham & Edmonton in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Saturday, December 01, 2018

Released 3 mos ago (12/1/2018 UTC) at Second Cup – Graham & Edmonton in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

I am taking this book to the Winnipeg BookCrossers Meetup . If no-one at the meeting claims it you can find it on the OBCZ shelf.

When you find a BookCrossing book it is yours to do with what you like. You can read it and keep it or pass it on or if you don't think it is your kind of book pass it on to someone who might like it or release it in a spot for someone else to find like you just did. Whatever you choose it would be great if you could write a short note letting us know what new adventures the book is on.

Journal Entry 4 by wingwinnipegobczwing at Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Saturday, December 01, 2018
This book is currently sitting on the Winnipeg Official Bookcrossing Zone bookshelf in Second Cup, 254 Edmonton St., Winnipeg MB.

It is waiting there for a new reader to take home, read, and release back into the wild!

Winnipeg bookcrossers meet at my location every month to chat about books, swap great reads, and release on the OBCZ shelves. Please join us! We love to see new faces! If you want to get notices of the meetings you can join our Facebook Group or our Yahoo Email Group! You will enjoy the comfy atmosphere, the fabulous coffees and teas, and the yummy treats!

NOTE: Someone was looking at this book while Winnipeg BookCrossers were still meeting so if may no longer be on the shelf.