corner corner The Black Echo (A Harry Bosch Novel)

The Black Echo (A Harry Bosch Novel)
by Michael Connelly | Mystery & Thrillers
Registered by winggypsysmomwing of Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on 1/19/2014

status (set by gypsysmom): reserved

Journal Entry 1 by winggypsysmomwing from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Sunday, January 19, 2014

I've read a number of the Hieronymous Bosch series but I figured I should start with the first one. My niece gave me a gift certificate to McNally Robinson for Christmas 2013 so I thought I would indulge my wish.

Journal Entry 2 by winggypsysmomwing at Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Saturday, January 20, 2018

It's hard to believe that Michael Connelly had a number of rejections before this book got published. But that's what James Lee Burke, another of my favourite writers, says in the foreword to this book. Apparently Burke also had trouble finding a publisher for his first book but his agent kept shopping it around and Burke was very thankful for his persistence. He praised his agent when his book finally was published, Connelly read that book and approached the same agent who saw in Connelly's writing the same thing he had seen in JLB's. Many books later for both these writers I am also thankful for the agent because I have enjoyed everything they have written.

This is the first book in the Harry Bosch series by Connelly. I've read a number of the later books in the series but this one sets everything in motion so I thought it would be important to read it. Bosch is called out late one night because a body has been found in a culvert near the LA reservoir. The body belonged to a junkie and at first glance it looked like he had overdosed but Bosch took more than a glance and realized that he knew the victim. It was a man he had been in Vietnam with who had been a tunnel rat, like Bosch. Bosch thought the man had been killed elsewhere and left in the culvert. On examining the victim's apartment he found a pawn ticket and when he went to the pawn shop he found that the shop had been burgled the night before. One of the items taken was the necklace that had been pawned. The pawn shop owner had a picture of the necklace however and Bosch was able to ascertain that it had been taken in a spectacular bank heist a number of months back. This particular bank job had occurred on the Labour Day weekend. The thieves had tunnelled underneath the safety deposit vault, blown a hole in the bottom of the vault and opened many safety deposit boxes over the long weekend. Nobody had been caught and none of the items taken from the boxes had ever shown up before now. The FBI had jurisdiction over the bank case so Bosch went to see them. There he met special agent Eleanor Wish with whom he would go on to investigate the case. As they are tracking down the bank robbers (who probably also killed the murder victim) Bosch and Wish start to fall in love. A loner like Bosch and with some baggage dating back to the Vietnam war, Wish would seem to be an ideal partner. However, by the end of the book Bosch is alone again.

This is a terrific start to a terrific series.

Journal Entry 3 by winggypsysmomwing at Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Thursday, February 08, 2018

I have offered this book in bookstogive's Mystery/Thriller VBB so I will reserve it for now.