corner corner Casino Royale

Casino Royale
by Ian Fleming | Mystery & Thrillers
Registered by wingDiane-Fraserwing of Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on 1/11/2014

status (set by Cassandra2020): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingDiane-Fraserwing from Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Saturday, January 11, 2014

Found this World Book Night 2013 copy in Oxfam Keswick. It was originally given by Linda Fleming who collected it from Cockermouth Library. Wonder if they are related to the author?? :)

ETA Adding to the Shrinking VBB - Round 9

Journal Entry 2 by wingDiane-Fraserwing at Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Monday, February 13, 2017

Even though i have watched both film versions of this book i was still able to enjoy this book. It was nice to hear Bond's thoughts about his actions and i was able to understand him more than ever before. I did read one of his books when i was a teenager but it hadnt stuck with me that there was more to this man than good looks, women, martini and action!

Journal Entry 3 by wingDiane-Fraserwing at Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Saturday, February 25, 2017

Released 1 yr ago (2/27/2017 UTC) at Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom

Posting to Greenbadger
Enjoy!!

Journal Entry 4 by winggreenbadgerwing at St Albans, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Thursday, March 09, 2017

Thanks Diane! I always find the WBN books are worth a read.

See you in Loughborough if not before! :)

Journal Entry 5 by winggreenbadgerwing at St Albans, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Friday, February 16, 2018

The first of Fleming's Bond novels. Well, the Bond films are fun and not to be taken too seriously, and this is the same. Bond is sent to play cards at the Casino Royale to bankrupt the agent Le Chiffre, who will then be killed by his own side for investing their money in brothels. 007 is furious to be sent a female assistant, who he thinks will be incompetent - like the earlier films, this is very sexist, but it was published in 1953 so of its time. The gambling scene is really tense and Bond is not as infallible as in the films. In summary I quite enjoyed it but don't think I'd bother to look out for more.

Journal Entry 6 by winggreenbadgerwing at St Albans, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Monday, February 19, 2018

Released 7 mos ago (2/19/2018 UTC) at St Albans, Hertfordshire United Kingdom

Sent to bookfrogster as a wishlist RABCK. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 7 by wingbookfrogsterwing at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, February 24, 2018

Thanks for sending me this one Greenbadger. I'm not really a fan of the few Bond films I've seen but am curious to read the books and see what I think of them. I will report back soon!

Journal Entry 8 by wingbookfrogsterwing at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Tuesday, February 27, 2018

This was quite an interesting read, particularly getting an insight into Bond's thinking. I haven't seen either film version of this so was coming to it fresh. As expected, Bond's views are old-fashioned to say the least. It was much more violent that I thought it would be too. I am going to read more of the series though. Thanks very much for sending me this one Greenbadger.

Journal Entry 9 by wingCassandra2020wing at Roslin, Scotland United Kingdom on Sunday, July 01, 2018

I've always enjoyed the Bond films despite the attitudes. Will be interesting to read one of the novels.... and this is on the 1001 list too!