corner corner The Purple Land

The Purple Land
by W. H. Hudson | History
Registered by stephjb of Torquay, Devon United Kingdom on 1/9/2014

status (set by stephjb): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by stephjb from Torquay, Devon United Kingdom on Thursday, January 09, 2014

Bought 'as new' from Livros da Ria Formosa bookshop in Lagos, Portugal.

Journal Entry 2 by stephjb at Lagos, Faro Portugal on Thursday, January 09, 2014

This fictional account of the adventures of one Richard Lamb, fish-out of-water Englishman in 1860s Uruguay was originally published in 1885. I liked its overtly flowery language which immediately transported me back to the era and made Lamb's constant attitude of 'I'm English therefore ...' easier to stomach. The adventures themselves are entertaining and perilous for our hero, and also generally caused by his falling for the most recent woman to cross his path. The descriptions of Uruguay and her political situation at the time were interesting as I had no real knowledge of the country prior to reading this novel. I don't think I would search out any of Hudson's other novels, but would pick them up to read if I spotted one on a book exchange.

Journal Entry 3 by stephjb at Camping Alvor in Alvor, Faro Portugal on Thursday, January 23, 2014

Released 3 yrs ago (1/23/2014 UTC) at Camping Alvor in Alvor, Faro Portugal

On the book exchange shelves in Reception.