A Sight For Sore Eyes

by Ruth Rendell | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by wingRoseOfDarknesswing of Baruth/Mark, Brandenburg Germany on 1/4/2014
Journal Entry 1 by wingRoseOfDarknesswing from Baruth/Mark, Brandenburg Germany on Saturday, January 04, 2014
Du hast mich gefunden. Ich würde mich sehr freuen wenn du jetzt eine Nachricht hinterlässt wo und wie ich Dir gefalle. Das geht anonym oder mit Anmeldung und ist kostenlos.

Viel Vergnügen wünscht DAS

Die deutschsprachigen Bookcrosser tauschen sich übrigens in einem öffentlichen Forum aus, in dem jeder Interessierte auch unregistriert mitlesen kann:
Forum Germany
Forum Austria
Außerdem empfehle ich Dir bei Fragen die Supportseite
Supportseite

Welcome to BookCrossing. Thanks for taking the time to visit the site. Please make a journal entry to let me know that you have found this book, you may do this anonymously or you may join. There is no charge to join this site, if you are like myself from time to time you may donate to help support Bookcrossing; but it is not mandatory. If you are new to BookCrossing and choose to join, please indicate that you were referred by RoseOfDarkness. Membership is free and your name and e-mail address is not shared with anyone else and it will never be sold. BookCrossing is a a world-wide group of people who love books and wish to share them with others.
Please enjoy this book, if it is not your genre pass it along to someone else or wild release it. In this way we promote literacy and at the same time we can watch our book continue on it's journey.

"Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear and the blind can read."
Mark Twain

Journal Entry 2 by wingRoseOfDarknesswing at Baruth/Mark, Brandenburg Germany on Saturday, January 04, 2014
Nobody does North London squalor better than Ruth Rendell. Describing in vivid detail the cultural sewer in which a monster named Teddy Brex grows up, she uses hideous furniture, slovenly housekeeping habits, even his mother's diet while pregnant to root us in the setting's hopeless ugliness. In contrast, Rendell introduces people and places of stunning beauty: Francine, a mentally fragile girl who became mute after witnessing her mother's murder; and Orcadia Cottage, scene of a famous painting that is at the center of much of the story's anguish. "It was far and away the most beautiful place he had ever seen," Rendell writes when Teddy--a gifted woodcrafter--first views the cottage. "The proportions of this hall, this room... the windows, the walls, the carpets, the flowers, the furniture, the paintings, all of it dazzled him."
Teddy is another of Rendell's frightening moral cripples, a seemingly ordinary person capable of the vilest crimes. When he becomes obsessed with Francine after meeting her at art school, we know to expect murder--we just aren't sure when, or who will be the victim. Equally vile is Julia, Francine's stepmother, a psychologist of such immense and malevolent ineptness that we would swear she couldn't possibly exist if real life hadn't taught us otherwise. Other important characters are Harriet, a faded beauty who connects the past to the present; Teddy's uncle Keith, who first recognizes the boy's madness; and a bright red, lovingly restored Edsel, which becomes a hearse.

Gute Reise. Happy travelling. Bon voyage.

"Wer lesen will, der liest, und jedes Buch wird gefunden von dem, der es sucht."
Eduard Engel

Journal Entry 4 by Chremajora at Siegen, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Wednesday, April 13, 2016
Thank you for passing this book on to Marita. She read it, enjoyed it and passed it on to me to look for a new reader.

Journal Entry 5 by Chremajora at Nordhorn, Niedersachsen Germany on Friday, April 22, 2016

Released 3 yrs ago (4/23/2016 UTC) at Nordhorn, Niedersachsen Germany

A complicated journey: this book is travelling to Nordhorn where it will be collected by motherof11 and then passed on to Pinkoeria in the UK next month.

Happy travels! Don't forget to write home every now and then, little book!

Journal Entry 6 by pinkoeria at Basingstoke, Hampshire United Kingdom on Monday, May 23, 2016
Thank you for sending me this book and the rest of the box.

Journal Entry 7 by pinkoeria at Basingstoke, Hampshire United Kingdom on Sunday, August 28, 2016
Ruth Rendell's books are usually quite creepy and this one was no exception. I really liked it though, a lot of unforeseen twists and turns.

Journal Entry 8 by pinkoeria at Basingstoke, Hampshire United Kingdom on Saturday, February 04, 2017

Released 2 yrs ago (2/6/2017 UTC) at Basingstoke, Hampshire United Kingdom

Enjoy!

Journal Entry 9 by Nataliec7 at West Molesey, Surrey United Kingdom on Friday, February 17, 2017
Thanks pinkoeria!

Journal Entry 10 by Nataliec7 at Barry, Wales United Kingdom on Thursday, November 07, 2019
I enjoyed this book very much. It was not what I was expecting at all.

Both Teddy and Francine have a not so nice time growing up for various reasons. Eventually their paths cross meet but its complicated from the beginning. I felt sadness for them both and was hoping for good outcomes for all involved. I felt a bit sorry for Harriett initially, and I enjoyed how we dipped into her life every now and again.

Once this got going, it was hard to put down. A great book with lots of twists.

Released 3 wks ago (11/17/2019 UTC) at A non-bookcrosser, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Going into my wrap it up book box! Enjoy

Journal Entry 12 by kinedi at Rushyford, County Durham United Kingdom on Thursday, November 21, 2019
Taken out of NatalieC7's book box as the review sounded interesting