When We Were Orphans

by Kazuo Ishiguro | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by Feuerzeug11 of Berlin (irgendwo/somewhere), Berlin Germany on 12/28/2013
Journal Entry 1 by Feuerzeug11 from Berlin (irgendwo/somewhere), Berlin Germany on Saturday, December 28, 2013
donated by a fellow bibliophile

Journal Entry 2 by Feuerzeug11 at -- Per Post geschickt/ Persönlich weitergegeben --, Berlin Germany on Thursday, January 2, 2014

Released 10 yrs ago (1/3/2014 UTC) at -- Per Post geschickt/ Persönlich weitergegeben --, Berlin Germany

Wishlist book for book-a-neer. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by book-a-neer at Melbourne CBD, Victoria Australia on Thursday, January 30, 2014
Book has arrived. Thank you for sending this.

Journal Entry 4 by book-a-neer at Melbourne CBD, Victoria Australia on Saturday, August 12, 2023

Released 11 mos ago (8/5/2023 UTC) at Melbourne CBD, Victoria Australia

If you have found this book please know that it is a travelling book. It is not lost. You see, we at bookcrossing, love our books so much that we like to share it with the world. Read it if you think it's interesting enough and/or pass it on to someone who might enjoy it as well.

Journal Entry 5 by wingcrimson-tidewing at Balingup, Western Australia Australia on Thursday, August 17, 2023

Arrived along with a whole bunch of friends. Thanks very much, book-a-neer.

I read this one years ago and enjoyed it, so will try to find it an appreciative new home.

Shortlisted for the Booker Prize in 2000.

Born in early-twentieth-century Shanghai, Banks was orphaned at the age of nine after the separate disappearances of his parents. Now, more than twenty years later, he is a celebrated figure in London society; yet the investigative expertise that has garnered him fame has done little to illuminate the circumstances of his parents' alleged kidnappings. Banks travels to the seething, labyrinthine city of his memory in hopes of solving the mystery of his own, painful past, only to find that war is ravaging Shanghai beyond recognition-and that his own recollections are proving as difficult to trust as the people around him.

Masterful, suspenseful and psychologically acute, When We Were Orphans offers a profound meditation on the shifting quality of memory, and the possibility of avenging one's past.

Update: Was placed in the OZ VBB but not chosen, so will wild release.

Released 1 mo ago (6/16/2024 UTC) at End of the Road Street Library in Balingup, Western Australia Australia

Welcome to BookCrossing!

Hello, congratulations, and welcome to Bookcrossing! This is a friendly online community of people who love books and who want to share books and promote literacy around the world. Please leave a comment to say where you found the book and if you read it, what you thought of it. If you choose to join the site, you can follow the book as it travels on and finds more readers!

When you've read the book, it's yours to do with as you please - you can keep it, pass it on to friends or family, or "wild release" it again to find new readers! You may choose to remain anonymous or to join up (it's free!).

I hope you enjoy BookCrossing as much as I do.
Happy reading!