Falling Off The Map: Some Lonely Places of the World

by Pico Iyer | Travel |
Registered by wing6of8wing of Silver Spring, Maryland USA on 12/27/2013
Journal Entry 1 by wing6of8wing from Silver Spring, Maryland USA on Friday, December 27, 2013
Picked this up somewhere because it looked interesting. Will read it and likely release it on my holiday travels.

Journal Entry 2 by wing6of8wing at Silver Spring, Maryland USA on Saturday, December 28, 2013
A fascinating look at many different remote places that exist within the increasingly connected world. The most fascinating thing, I found, was that even though it has been about 15 years since these pieces were written, most of it is still pretty accurate. The author's visits included Bhutan, Iceland, North Korea, Paraguay, Vietnam and Australia. I think that Vietnam may be more modern now than described, with more connection to the world, but I don't know that the other places have changed. Australia has always been modern, just its remoteness was celebrated in the book and nothing will ever be able to change that. Iceland's population of immigrants has expanded, but its culture is still pretty insular. Bhutan and Paraguay are places you never hear about at all and seldome think about; I doubt they have changed much. North Korea is still as paranoid, self-obsessed, and completely otherworldly as ever, even with the change of leadership. I enjoyed a virtual visit to all of these places. Other than Iceland and Australia, though, no real desire to visit them in person.

Journal Entry 3 by wing6of8wing at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, Utah USA on Saturday, December 28, 2013

Released 5 yrs ago (12/27/2013 UTC) at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, Utah USA

"A book is a mysterious object, I said, and once it floats out into the world, anything can happen. All kinds of mischief can be caused, and there's not a damned thing you can do about it. For better or worse, it's completely out of your control." -- Paul Auster

Passed this book along to Erishkigal when we got together for brunch at Eggs in the City. It was so much fun to see her again and talk books and travels and animals -- and to then visit the Tracy Aviary and see all the beautiful birds.

Journal Entry 4 by wingerishkigalwing at Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Sunday, August 21, 2016
Holy Cow! I've been reading this, and just now see that I missed journalling when you gave it to me, 6~~ I am so sorry!!!

Thus far, I agree with what 6 has said before me, she didn't mention Argentina, so I just want to add that I have found the comments (by Argentinians) on the expectations (and disappointments) of their culture to be of particular interest to me, especially during this election year.

Journal Entry 5 by wingerishkigalwing at Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Sunday, October 08, 2017

Released 1 yr ago (10/8/2017 UTC) at Salt Lake City, Utah USA

This was selected from a vvb while was off on my own adventure, if not off the map, at least off the grid for the best part of 6 weeks. Aaahhhh.... :D

So I'm not sure if I found the request and it fell through the sieve why my brain should be, or if it was totally lost among the gazillions of emails stuffing my box on my return . At any rate, I thank you for the reminder/new address, and it is on the way as we speak. or as I type. Or... whatever; I mailed it Friday.

Journal Entry 6 by wingelizardbreathwing at Bella Vista, Arkansas USA on Saturday, October 14, 2017
Thanks so much for sending this my way!

2/14/2018: Reserving for booklady331 who chose it from the nonfiction VBB.

Journal Entry 7 by wingelizardbreathwing at Bella Vista, Arkansas USA on Sunday, February 18, 2018
I picked this up on the heels of a Tudor-era fiction and found that I had quite a bit of difficulty getting into it. Ironically, I found that the fact the book discusses lesser-known parts of the world is the very reason I couldn't get interested in it. I hope this book finds a more appreciative reader on its next journey!

Sending to booklady331. Enjoy!

To the finder of this book:

Thanks, and Happy BookCrossing! :)

Journal Entry 9 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Saturday, February 24, 2018
The book arrived today. Thank you for sharing it with me. Thank you for the bookmark.

Journal Entry 10 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Monday, December 17, 2018
Since the book was written in 1994, I am sure these places have changed in the years that have passed. It would be interesting to read an update.

This book is reserved for Iwillrejoices "F" title bookring. I will mail them out after Christmas because I don't want to stand in a long line.

Journal Entry 11 by wingbooklady331wing at mail in Cape Coral, Florida USA on Thursday, December 27, 2018

Released 2 mos ago (12/28/2018 UTC) at mail in Cape Coral, Florida USA

Enjoy! Off in Iwillrejoice's "F" title bookring for What's in a Name (Al) Release Challenge 2018

Journal Entry 12 by Chicvolley99 at Denver, Colorado USA on Tuesday, January 01, 2019
Received today in the Books that start with F Book ring.

I have decided to keep this book, and pass it along for someone else to enjoy. I have recently come across another copy.

Journal Entry 13 by Chicvolley99 at Denver, Colorado USA on Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Released 1 mo ago (1/28/2019 UTC) at Denver, Colorado USA

Released in thegoaliegirl's travel narrative bookbox. Please enjoy!

Link to forum: https://www.bookcrossing.com/forum/20/552104

Journal Entry 14 by wingthegoaliegirlwing at Vancouver, Washington USA on Tuesday, February 26, 2019
This book arrived home in my latest travel narrative bookbox. I read this book years ago, so I will be moving this one along again.