Girl with a Pearl Earring

by Tracy Chevalier | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by ChinaSourcer of Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on 1/6/2004
Journal Entry 1 by ChinaSourcer from Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Tuesday, January 06, 2004
Book Description from amazon.com:

History and fiction merge seamlessly in this luminous novel about artistic vision and sensual awakening. Girl with a Pearl Earring tells the story of sixteen-year-old Griet, whose life is transformed by her brief encounter with genius ... even as she herself is immortalized in canvas and oil.

Journal Entry 2 by ChinaSourcer from Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Saturday, February 21, 2004
Sent on loan to BookGroupMan today.

Journal Entry 3 by BookGroupMan from Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on Tuesday, February 24, 2004
Thanks 'BookSourcer', you've come through with my request. This will be my second read, for a book group. I'll look after it and return as-soon-as

ps. nice piccy of Norwich castle :-)

Journal Entry 4 by BookGroupMan from Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on Monday, March 08, 2004
I think I enjoyed this more the second time round. Although I make it a rule not to read books more than once if I can help it, i’m refreshing my memory for a book group.

The novel is stripped down to the thinnest of central plots, further reduced by the narrow horizons of the 17th century Delft, and a restricted world seen through the eyes of a young maid (Giert). She is the daughter of an invalided tile maker, who is obliged to enter into service in the household of the famous artist Vermeer. The beauty & strength of the book for me is the subtle use of language and character, and the sense of time and place, which is hypnotic. We witness 2 years of Giert growing up into an adult, other world. She also has to cope with traumas in her own family, and tries to keep her reserve and dignity whilst the subject of interest from several men (mostly unwanted), and the hostility of strong females. The central non-relationship between Giert & Vermeer (through the medium of art) is lovingly told, although it’s always going to be ultimately doomed. The supporting cast are great too, I particularly liked the matriarch Maria Thins and the nightmare daughter Cornelia…Lastly, it was good that the epilogue brought the story to a satisfactory ending some years later – rather than leaving loose ends which I hate in novels :-)

Journal Entry 5 by BookGroupMan from Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on Friday, March 12, 2004
On its way back home, hopefully none the worse for wear? Thanks again Bren, let me know if I can return the favour :)

Journal Entry 6 by ChinaSourcer from Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Wednesday, March 17, 2004
Arrived home safely, thanks. I'll probably read this when I'm on holiday in a month or so. I've yet to see the film :(
Thanks for the postcard of Cambridge, I used to live near there, many years ago.

Journal Entry 7 by ChinaSourcer from Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Friday, September 17, 2004
I enjoyed this a lot, still haven't caught up with the film though!
Offering on the BookRelay as a RABCK to celebrate my first year on BC.

Journal Entry 8 by ChinaSourcer from Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Friday, October 01, 2004
Taken from the BookRelay by sudokris and posted today

Journal Entry 9 by SudoKris from Lathones, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, October 11, 2004
Arrived today - thanks so much Chinasourcer!!! I'll read it soon and maybe start a ring (if anyone's interested)! Happy BC Anniversary!

Journal Entry 10 by SudoKris from Lathones, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, October 16, 2004
Oh, I love this book! I read it today, 2nd time round this year, but the last time I read I'd borrowed it from my Mum's friend, so I had to return it really quickly and couldn't read it again. It was even better the 2nd time round - can't really say why - I guess I paid more attention to details...
Must watch film again!!!

Offered as a relay...

Journal Entry 11 by SudoKris from Lathones, Scotland United Kingdom on Sunday, October 17, 2004
Sent to corry000...

Journal Entry 12 by corry000 from Chicago, Illinois USA on Friday, October 22, 2004
This is a book I've been wanting to read for over a year now. Thank you Sudokris for sending it to me so quick. I love accepting books from you :)

I really liked this book. It read really well. All the descriptions in the book made me easily imagine myself back in 17th century in Vermeer's house. I really liked the main character, the maid Griet. I could almost feel her fascination with the painter. But i do not want to say to much. I look forward to raeding more books by Tracy Chevalier.

Bookring participants:

1. Luintaurien
2. andersor
3. mlburgess2 ASKED TO BE REMOVED
4. kitiarablue
5. guinaveve
6. bookworm1954
7. noumena12

Journal Entry 13 by Luintaurien from York, Nebraska USA on Monday, January 17, 2005
Got it on Saturday. Thank you. Will read and pass on ASAP.

Journal Entry 14 by Luintaurien from York, Nebraska USA on Monday, February 21, 2005
Update on this. I am about half done with this book right now and am pming the next person for their address.

Journal Entry 15 by Luintaurien from York, Nebraska USA on Tuesday, February 22, 2005
I really enjoyed this book a lot. It was something I am interested in. It combined art with the country of Holland. I have been trying to read books about Holland as my relatives are from there. It was a very quick read for me. It took less than two days. Sending to the next person Tuesday 2/22. Thank you for the chance to read this.

Journal Entry 16 by Luintaurien at -- By Hand or Post, Ray/Ring, Rabck in York, Nebraska USA on Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Released 14 yrs ago (2/22/2005 UTC) at -- By Hand or Post, Ray/Ring, Rabck in York, Nebraska USA

Journal Entry 17 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Tuesday, March 01, 2005
Safely arrived in today's mail. I'm in the middle of midterms but will read it as soon as possible. Thanks for sharing!

CAUGHT IN SAN FRANCISCO CA USA

Journal Entry 18 by andersor from San Francisco, California USA on Tuesday, March 01, 2005
Sorry about that, I didn't realize I wasn't logged in. Anyway, I have the book. Thanks

Journal Entry 19 by andersor from San Francisco, California USA on Tuesday, March 08, 2005
Very quick and enjoyable read. I started and finished it in the same flight... Will pass on to next in line as soon as I get an address.
Thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 20 by andersor from San Francisco, California USA on Thursday, March 10, 2005
I finally found someone who wants the book! mlburgess2, kitiarablue and guinaveve all asked to be skipped, so I will be sending the book off to bookworm1954 soon.

3/14 - Mailed out today.

Journal Entry 21 by bookworm1954 from Sullivan, Missouri USA on Saturday, March 19, 2005
Received this book in the mail as part of a book ring.

Journal Entry 22 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Monday, April 04, 2005
Received today as part of a bookring. Since I finished a book last night (is 2am really last night?), this moves to the top of the Reading Queue. Thanks Corry000 for creating a ring and thanks to BookWorm1954 for passing it on so quickly.

Journal Entry 23 by noumena12 from Dayton, Ohio USA on Monday, April 04, 2005
Oops...that was me? :embarrassed:

Journal Entry 24 by bookworm1954 from Sullivan, Missouri USA on Tuesday, April 12, 2005
A good story. It really takes you back to that time and that foreign land.
I was glad that I read it.

Journal Entry 25 by noumena12 from Dayton, Ohio USA on Thursday, April 28, 2005
I enjoyed this book. I definitely didn't want to put it down. Characters were well developed.

On its way back to Corry000! Thanks so much for starting the ring!

Journal Entry 26 by corry000 from Chicago, Illinois USA on Tuesday, May 03, 2005
The book came back to me safely. Thank you so much to all participants for making this a successful bookring.
Now the book is going to go on another journay. I'm sending it to my sister in Poland.