Honeymoon in Tehran: Two Years of Love and Danger in Iran

by Azadeh Moaveni | Biographies & Memoirs |
ISBN: 140006645X Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingAzukiwing of Miami, Florida USA on 12/18/2013
Journal Entry 1 by wingAzukiwing from Miami, Florida USA on Wednesday, December 18, 2013
Purchased at Miami's library book sale.

I didn't expect this to be such a serious read, although had I read the backcover, I would have seen the words: "perfect blend of political commentary and social observation". No mention of romance. The author also employs a very formal style of writing, maybe because she writes for Time magazine: "we settle on a fancy stroller that appeased my pregnancy consumption needs", "Dr. Majidi seemed to have resolved his personal travails", "the converse is not true", "my mood labile from the hormonal swings of early pregnancy"... so even funny incidents don't generate a chuckle. I almost put the book down early on, except that a little voice in me said that I should occasionally read something more substantial.

It turned out to be a good read. The political part (election and power change) did get a little over my head, but it was an eye-opener of how life is like in Iran from a very insider view (the author is Iranian American).

And oh, I went to have a nice lunch buffet at a Persian restaurant - always like to do a bit themed eating with my reads.

Journal Entry 2 by wingAzukiwing at A fellow BookCrosser, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Released 7 yrs ago (1/15/2014 UTC) at A fellow BookCrosser, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases

Sending to lauraloo29 who has this on the wishlist.

Journal Entry 3 by lauraloo29 at Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Tuesday, February 04, 2014
What a lovely surprise. Thank you!

Journal Entry 4 by lauraloo29 at Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Friday, July 06, 2018
Sadly, time for my yearly book purge. I will look for a new home for this one.

Journal Entry 5 by lauraloo29 at Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Thursday, January 28, 2021

Released 2 mos ago (2/6/2021 UTC) at Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Sending to the winner of the Global Sweeps Congratulations!

Journal Entry 6 by Ninas_BookNook at Yorktown, Virginia USA on Sunday, February 21, 2021
I received this book as the winner of the 2021 Global Sweeps - Round 7. It looks very interesting and I look forward to reading it eventually. For now, it will take a spot on my TBR pile. Thank you so much for sending it!