Skim

by Mariko Tamaki, Jillian Tamaki | Graphic Novels |
ISBN: 088899964X Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 12/16/2013
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Monday, December 16, 2013
I got this fair-condition softcover from the local library's ongoing book sale. It's a coming-of-age story in graphic novel form, with the main character being a "not slim" Japanese-Canadian Goth Wiccan high school girl.

The story is told from her point of view, and we get to hear her innermost thoughts as well as observe what she actually says and does in class or with her family or friends. She gets caught up in a first crush (with a teacher, who finds herself facing a difficult decision as a result), sees her best friend growing apart from her, and has to come to terms with the suicide of a classmate and the resulting fallout throughout the school. I appreciated the way this was handled, with counseling and peer groups and such - and with our heroine's rather grumpy attitude towards some of the more overwrought "let's cheer up the gloomy kids" activities.

Skim doesn't always have an easy time of it (especially in a flashback scene of casual cruelty-by-ostracism), but she manages to remain centered (for the most part) and to cope with the worst of her trials pretty well. And late in the story she makes a surprising new friend, in a sequence that made me very happy.

The artwork is really fine, alternating between small panels that tell the story and full-page panels where the scenery and the small details enhance the storyline. A couple of those scenic pages made me gasp at their beauty!

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Released 5 yrs ago (1/22/2014 UTC) at Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I'm adding this to the Teen bookbox, which will be on its way to its next stop soon. Hope someone enjoys this!

Journal Entry 3 by JennyC1230 at Woodstock, Georgia USA on Monday, April 14, 2014
This book returned in the Teens Shrinking Bookbox.
I don't think I will read this one, so I will pass on this book in some way. Thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 4 by JennyC1230 at Woodstock, Georgia USA on Monday, May 05, 2014
This book is starting out in Round #1 of Teens VBB (US only). This VBB is open to new participants if you want to join send me a PM.

Released 5 yrs ago (7/6/2014 UTC) at ~~~ ♥ ~~~ A Friend ~~~ ♥ ~~~, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

Gave this book to RCOUFan from the Teens VBB (US only). This VBB is open to new participants if you want to join send me a PM.

Journal Entry 6 by RCOUFan at Woodstock, Georgia USA on Monday, July 07, 2014
This was a really good book. I love graphic novels.

Journal Entry 7 by RCOUFan at Woodstock, Georgia USA on Tuesday, March 31, 2015
Reserved for JennyC1230's Teens VBB.

Journal Entry 8 by JennyC1230 at Little Free Library in Woodstock, Georgia USA on Monday, April 10, 2017

Released 2 yrs ago (4/10/2017 UTC) at Little Free Library in Woodstock, Georgia USA

Left in the Little Free Library near Downtown Woodstock on Noonday Creek Trail. The kids books go really fast, I wish I had more to share. Enjoy the book!