The Fairy Godmother

by Mercedes Lackey | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
ISBN: 0373802021 Global Overview for this book
Registered by beachglass of Fresno, California USA on 1/3/2004
Journal Entry 1 by beachglass from Fresno, California USA on Saturday, January 03, 2004
I'm sending this ARC (Advance Reader's Copy) book on a Bookring...please check here for the next reader, and PM them when you're ready to send the book on to them. Thanks!
(CLOSED)
10. marinaw (Texas) ~ rec'd
11. ladyoflight (S. Carolina)~ rec'd
12. cmbohn (Utah)~ rec'd
13. Mizzsmile (CA)~ rec'd

now back to me, Beachglass....~ rec'd

Journal Entry 2 by midwestgal from Butler, Wisconsin USA on Monday, January 26, 2004
Yeah! I received this today! No need to worry about it anymore. I am finishing two bookrings. I will start this by the end of next week. Thank you for including me in this bookring. The book looks very interesting.

I loved this book. Thank you so much for the bookring. I'll have to get a copy for myself to keep!

Pming Shendoah for addy now, will send this week.

Journal Entry 3 by midwestgal at post office in New Berlin, Wisconsin USA on Sunday, April 04, 2004
Release planned for Monday, April 05, 2004 at post office in New Berlin, Wisconsin USA.

After much ado this book has been located in my apt. building's office. I'll spare you the story but it's on it's way via priority mail to Shendoah.

Journal Entry 4 by Shendoah from San Jose, California USA on Wednesday, April 07, 2004
Came in the mail today

Journal Entry 5 by Shendoah from San Jose, California USA on Monday, April 19, 2004
Finished this on the airplane. As soon as I can finish a coherent thought, I'll post a journal review.

Shen- asleep on her feet...

Journal Entry 6 by Shendoah from San Jose, California USA on Wednesday, April 21, 2004
This wonderful story does for Fairy Godmother's what Wicked did for The Wicked Witch of the West.

When humans became numerous The Fae needed help and the Godmother's were the ones to do it. The strongest of human female magicians, Godmother's help us along our traditional path or use The Tradition to help us avoid an unhappy ending.

But what happens when you ARE the Godmother and you've just turned your Prince into an ass? What does The Tradition do now?

SPOILERS

Everyone knows the traditional fairy tales. Cinderella, the abused stepdaughter who marries the prince, The princess locked in the tower who falls in love with her rescuer. Fairy godmothers help us along the way, smoothing our path when we need it, turning tradition to a different route so that the unhappy ending turns happy.

But what happens when your tradition says that you're supposed to marry the prince, but there is no prince to marry, or your prince is only a baby? In this story by Mercedes Lacky, its those who become our fairy godmothers. Their magic built up from tradition not succeeding, and their understanding of the downside makes them excellent candidates for becoming a fairy godmother and helping others.

In this story we follow Elena, who was supposed to be a cinderella, marrying the prince in the end. But the prince was too young. She apprentices then takes over for the Godmother of her kingdom and several others, helping turn the path or ease it along. But when she meets 3 princes on a Quest, and turns one into an Ass (donkey) and takes him home to learn the lessons he needs for redemption, WATCH OUT. For tradition said that Elena was supposed to marry a prince, and a prince can't stay in a small cottage in the middle of now where. Now what?

SO this story follows Elena and Alexander, their path to discovering who they are, and making thier own happy ending come true. Sometimes it takes a bit of fairy magic, sometimes it takes a bit of understanding yourself and accepting not only who you are, but your responsibilities in life as well. Magic and Tradition will follow along with you.

Journal Entry 7 by Shendoah from San Jose, California USA on Wednesday, April 28, 2004
On it's way to fizzfred today.

Mail confirmaiton number 03032460000275086774

Journal Entry 8 by fizzfred from Sacramento, California USA on Sunday, May 02, 2004
I received this book yesterday. I hope to have this finished by 5/15.

Journal Entry 9 by fizzfred from Sacramento, California USA on Thursday, May 13, 2004
This book was fun! I loved all the inside info on how to become a Fairy Godmother. Elena was great. The whole idea of the Tradition was cool. I swear I can feel it sometimes myself. :) I didn't really buy the love story though. They fell in love through dreams they had of eachother? Boy, that could get you in trouble!
Thanks so much beachglass for sharing this book. As soon as I find a postcard I'll mail it to beautyredefined.

Journal Entry 10 by fizzfred from Sacramento, California USA on Tuesday, May 18, 2004
Eeek, my life got in the way of my BookCrossing! Sorry I got this in the mail a week later than I meant to. It is now finally on its way to beautyredefined. I hope you enjoy it.

Journal Entry 11 by beautyredefined from Washington, District of Columbia USA on Tuesday, May 25, 2004
Just received this in the mail. I've got a few pages left in my previous book, then I'll get to this one ASAP.

Journal Entry 12 by beautyredefined from Washington, District of Columbia USA on Wednesday, June 09, 2004
I finished this and sent it off to eriko a day or two ago.

Warning! Some spoilers inside!

While I enjoyed the Fairy Godmother as a light summer read, there were times when the story seemed unbalanced or hurried. The author seems to enjoy descriptive language, and she uses it well. I found it easy to picture the cottage in my mind, as well as Arachnia and the Elven royalty. The imagery employed is quite effective for me.

However, sometimes I feel that the story was hurried. For instance, there seems to be quite the jump from Elena's training to Madame Bella leaving. Sometimes it's a bit disconcerting between chapters to see such a gap in time. It can take you out of the story, and make you go back to make sure you didn't miss anything.

The author also occassionally leaves out a detail I was hoping would be explained later, which also contributes to the hurriedness and gives a sense of wanting more out of the book's ending. I particularly had hoped that there would be a better explanation of the Elven king's mark on Elena and Alexander. Just what did it do other than make his approval seen?

I did enjoy reading this fantasy and would recommend it to those looking for a cheerful read. I've always enjoyed fairy tales, and I'm glad that as an adult I don't have to give them up. To warn you, there are some sexual situations, which seem somewhat incongruous with the style of the rest of the book, though I've decided the situations are important for the story as a whole. At any rate, if you're an adult who isn't ready to give up fairy tales, then you may enjoy this book. It's fun to see the 'Godmothering' behind the scenes of the tales you remember as a child.

Journal Entry 13 by eriko1908 from Plymouth, Minnesota USA on Monday, June 14, 2004
This one arrived today...forgot I sent my address for it awhile ago, so it was a little surprise!! :o)

Journal Entry 14 by eriko1908 from Plymouth, Minnesota USA on Saturday, June 19, 2004
I finished this one this morning!! (Now I finally get to read the spoilers...lol) I really enjoyed this one!! It was fun to read a fairy-tale once again!! I think I still believe in beautiful princesses & all that hocus-pocus. I know I still believe in "happily ever after's" & it would be wonderfully neat to have a Fairy Godmother who it steering me onward towards mine!!

This one will be sent off Monday morning to Puppetlady...hope she & everybody else enjoys!! I know I did!! :o) Thanks for sharing this one!!

6/19/04 -- This one is off & running via Media Mail to Puppetlady...who it appears is going to be the lucky recipient of a few rings very soon!! Enjoy!! :o)

Journal Entry 15 by Puppetlady from St. Louis, Missouri USA on Sunday, June 27, 2004
I really liked this book - I started it last night and this morning kept talking myself into reading "just a few more pages" even though I knew it meant I would be late for the Pride parade. I do love a tale re-told in a different way (although I couldn't really get into Wicked; maybe it was the writing, or maybe I just need to try again). i thought the idea of Tradition being a force in the world was fascinating.

Anyway, hope to have this off to Rendiru sometime this week.

Journal Entry 16 by Rendiru from Carmichael, California USA on Saturday, July 24, 2004
Cool! I found this book waiting patiently for me in the post office today when I got back from vacation. It's going to the top of Mt. TBR - I love this author and am really looking forward to reading this. Thanks for sharing! :-)

Journal Entry 17 by Rendiru from Carmichael, California USA on Wednesday, August 04, 2004
This was such a fun book. I love a fairy tale with a happy ending. This interesting twist on the Fairy Godmother legend was just the escape I needed this week. Thanks so much for sharing!

Will mail this off to bountifulpots tomorrow.

Journal Entry 18 by wingBountifulPotswing from Olathe, Kansas USA on Saturday, August 28, 2004
Received this in a bookring. I have 2 before it, and then will read it as quickly as possible!

Journal Entry 19 by crrcookie from Tecumseh, Oklahoma USA on Saturday, September 25, 2004
I just got this in the mail today. It is not exactly what I was expecting but I will give it a try and see if I can get into it.

I will post more just as soon as I have read it and it is on its way again. It should not take too long as there is nothing that I am reading ahead of it.

Caught in Kaiserslautern, GERMANY!

Journal Entry 20 by crrcookie from Tecumseh, Oklahoma USA on Thursday, September 30, 2004
Well it took a couple days but I managed to get through the book. It was different than what I expected and I reaffirm that fantasy is just not my thing. I like books that are a little more rooted in a real world.

All in all the book was not bad. I thought that the approach was very interesting. The Fairy Godmother is most often someone that just appears in a story and then quickly rushes off ... this book brought to life their side of the story.

The book seems a little long and drawn out to me. I think I might have preferred it written into a small series rather than into one long book. Or at least have the book divided within because there seems to be more than one story within the book. It could easily be divided into "becoming a Godmother" and "being a Godmother" themes. But that is just my rambling opinion and I will leave the book writing to the "experts" and continue to read books and enjoy them.

Best Wishes to all who get the chance to read this book. It will be off to visit the next on the list very soon.

C

Journal Entry 21 by marinaw from Dripping Springs, Texas USA on Thursday, October 14, 2004
Received in the mail on Tuesday (MeetUp day). This will be my next read after I finish writing journals for 2 more books. Any "anti-delaying crap" vibes sent would be appreciated ;)

Journal Entry 22 by marinaw from Dripping Springs, Texas USA on Saturday, February 11, 2006
First, let me apologize to the ring members for my delay. I've been really busy with the pregnancy and the new baby this past year. I'm finally ready to get this into the mail--I've received ladyoflight's address.

Now, I'll see how much of this I can get typed before my son gets sick of playing in his exersaucer...

Lackey is one of my favorite authors. One of the reasons being that she has stretched far and wide across the fantasy genre. This isn't her first foray into Magic, but I think this is her first fairy tale. I hope she has a few coming our way. This will be one I'll seek for my personal collection. What follows are some notes, quotes, and commentary...

"Words took on an extra weight, and extra potency, when there was a Witch involved. You were careful about words around Witches."
--Lackey knows her Magic. One of the first warnings I received in my training was "be careful what you say, the Universe is listening."

"...the dark one created factions, pitting the privileged, wealthy, and titled against those beneath them...this kept despair from being total, for there was always...hope."
--The more things change, the more they stay the same. Conquer by division in action. Of course, in a republic, this heats up whenever there's an election. Each side keeps that torch burning.

From page 120-123, the scene describes a major magical working, the real energy drain that the practitioner goes through. I appreciate Lackey's attention to detail.

"...the business of a Witch...was not so much using Magic as knowing when not to use it."
--Another well-learned early lesson I'm grateful to have had. A responsible witch keeps her options varied and only uses the necessary tools.

"I will be me, on my own terms, by my own rules, with my own plans, and my own decisions!"
--This could go either way, of course depending upon one's morality. Even the "just" person could run "afoul" if society has given over to darker goals. Ditto if society doesn't respect diversity. [forgive me for dropping the discussion ball on the state of our society...it's just too damn depressing]

"A playfellow I'll be, but no man's toy. A partner, helper, but no one's servant nor slave. I will be captain of my fate, and commander of my destiny, though the path I may share and the course I chart be followed by others. What I have, I will share, but I'll not give it over. What I am, I am, and I'll not change it. What I will be, I will be, by my own will and no other."
--It takes a lot of maturity to come up with these "rules of the romantic playing field." I wish I'd known how to be this strong when I was younger. But, I've learned how to deal with my life choices, and have achieved a different strength from them. I hope that my son will find the above sort of woman for his life partner, and that I can show him how to be strong enough to handle her.

"...banishing magic altogether...would have had a very serious effect on the very soul of the country, for a country whose people ceased to believe in magic soon lost much of their ability to imagine and dream, and before long, they ceased to believe--or hope--for anything."
--A sentiment echoed in a previously read (and enjoyed) book: [link here to journal]. Thank goodness for the Lackeys, Gaimans, and McCaffreys who are still willing to write about these other world views. I'm also thankful for the people in my life who know of and appreciate the richness of this path of creative examination of the inner and outer world.

"It all comes down to what we make of ourselves...Tradition or no."
--A truism that holds up in our realm, too. Even those who are born with silver spoons in their mouths (and who thereafter eat with nothing else) have to make some effort throughout their lives to grow/evolve/mature along that path. *watch me be good by not commenting on real-life examples of those who have failed*

In closing, I'm looking forward to adding the end-product published copy to my personal collection. I don't have many complaints with the story as told, but I'm hoping that the "real" sex scene doesn't make it sound as if Elena gets only one "special consideration."

Journal Entry 23 by ladyoflight from Somerville, Massachusetts USA on Thursday, March 09, 2006
Got this in the mail. I've been interested in reading a Mercedes Lackey book for quite a while. This will be my first. Thanks.

Journal Entry 24 by ladyoflight from Somerville, Massachusetts USA on Tuesday, April 11, 2006
I am not going to rate this book because I didn't get through it. It just wasn't my sort of thing. Thank you for the opportunity anyway. I will send it to the next BCer once I get an address.

Journal Entry 25 by cmbohn from Orem, Utah USA on Saturday, April 22, 2006
Just got this one yesterday and I couldn't resist. I picked it up this afternoon and I'm already on page 137. I need to put it down and get some stuff done, but I have a feeling I'm going to be neglecting my husband and kids for a while until I finish. Wow! I love it so far. My daughter may want to read it next, but she's a fast reader, so I promise I won't hold up the ring very long. I may just have to add this one to my wish list. Thanks for the chance to read it and discover a new author.

CMB

Journal Entry 26 by cmbohn from Orem, Utah USA on Wednesday, May 03, 2006
I really enjoyed this one. Such a fun story. Now I want to find more by this author. Both daughters are too busy to read this one right now, so it's ready to move on to Mizzsmile.

CMB

Journal Entry 27 by cmbohn from Orem, Utah USA on Thursday, May 11, 2006
On its way to Mizzsmile.

Journal Entry 28 by MizzSmile from San Jose, California USA on Saturday, June 03, 2006
What a pleasant surprise (and perfect timing) to find this book waiting for me at home after returning from a well needed vacation to celebrate the end of my 1st year of business school. I'm looking forward to enjoying some fun reading this summer :) Thanks beachglass!

Journal Entry 29 by MizzSmile from San Jose, California USA on Tuesday, July 04, 2006
7th Book Read in 2006: The little girl in me whose favorite faerie tale is Cinderella thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. I read a chapter a day when I first started. I got more drawn into the book once Elena took over her full reign as the Fairy Godmother and then couldn't put the book down once she encountered Prince Alexander (pretty much spent 4th of July finishing the book).

Like all faerie tales, it's good there is a happy ending...albeit very different from "Tradition". The epilogue was nice and would like to have another one that gave us insight to how Godmother Bella is enjoying her retirement. My take away message was to believe in the magic that comes from dreaming and hoping!

Thanks beachglass for sharing a little magic with all of us.

Journal Entry 30 by MizzSmile at --Controlled Release in Santa Clara, California USA on Thursday, August 03, 2006

Released 13 yrs ago (8/3/2006 UTC) at --Controlled Release in Santa Clara, California USA

Finally mailed out the book via media mail. Hopefully, book will arrive at beachglass' home before the end of the month. Thanks for the fairy tale!

Journal Entry 31 by beachglass from Fresno, California USA on Saturday, August 05, 2006
This book has arrived back to me safe and sound. Thanks to all bookring participants, for helping this book make it around to all who signed on to read it. Thank you all, as well, who included a postcard (or photo!) from your part of the country. I've enjoyed looking through them, and reading the notes.
Happy reading!