The Wish (Point)

by Diane Hoh | Teens |
Registered by JennyC1230 of Woodstock, Georgia USA on 12/7/2013
Journal Entry 1 by JennyC1230 from Woodstock, Georgia USA on Saturday, December 07, 2013
Book Description:

Alex is the first to notice the strange little booth at the back of the campus pizza place. "Wishes granted, fortunes told" says the sign on the glass. Inside sits The Wizard--an eerie wooden figure with sinister blue eyes.

Alex's friends make wishes.
And one by one, they come true--in terrifying, twisted wats.
Is The Wizard behind the horror?
Or is someone else to blame, someone with a deadly wish all his--or her--own...

My Review: I enjoyed this book! It's Horror Light, it's enough scare to make you interested, but not so much that you have nightmares about it. :-)

Journal Entry 2 by JennyC1230 at -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Released 7 yrs ago (1/15/2014 UTC) at -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

This book is starting out in the Teens Shrinking Bookbox.

Journal Entry 3 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, January 21, 2014
I'm taking this from the Teens Bookbox. Looks nicely creepy!

Later: I enjoyed the story, which did indeed get pretty grim in places; Alex's friends start to suffer increasingly-horrifying accidents (if they are accidents), and these all seem to have something to do with the wishes they'd idly mentioned in front of the fortune-teller booth at the local hangout. But is this all supernatural, or is there a human agent behind it?

I found the scenes of post-traumatic stress quite believable, even unsettlingly so, with poor Alex feeling numb and detached from the immediate surroundings and trauma, at least for a while. Nice touch!

[There's a TV Tropes page for the "Nightmare Hall" series.]

Journal Entry 4 by wingGoryDetailswing at Harold Square restaurant - Closed in Londonderry, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Released 7 yrs ago (2/11/2014 UTC) at Harold Square restaurant - Closed in Londonderry, New Hampshire USA

I plan to leave this book somewhere in the entrance of Harold Square at around 1:30 or so, while stopping by for one of their great French dip sandwiches. Hope the finder enjoys the book!