Eaters of the Dead

by Michael Crichton | Literature & Fiction | This book has not been rated.
Registered by book-a-neer of Melbourne CBD, Victoria Australia on 11/20/2013
Journal Entry 1 by book-a-neer from Melbourne CBD, Victoria Australia on Wednesday, November 20, 2013
The Eaters of the Dead is a brilliant, stirring tale of historical adventure which deserves a place on readers bookshelves alongside Michael Crichton's bestselling techno-thrillers. It is AD922 and Ibn Fadlan is sent north from Baghdad as a peaceful ambassador. But before he reaches his destination, he falls in with some Vikings and when they are attacked by mystical bloodthirsty creatures in the midst of a terrible fog, he reluctantly agrees to become the prophesied 13th warrior in order for them to survive. Later turned into a major Hollywood film, Eaters of the Dead is an imaginative and breathlessly exciting retelling of the Beowulf myth that rescues the story from dry academic analysis and resurrects it as an action-packed story of adventure.

Journal Entry 2 by book-a-neer at Melbourne CBD, Victoria Australia on Friday, January 10, 2014

Released 7 yrs ago (1/9/2014 UTC) at Melbourne CBD, Victoria Australia

Sent off to Yorkshire lass for the Alphabet VBB.

Journal Entry 3 by wingyorkshire-lasswing at Maidstone, Kent United Kingdom on Saturday, January 18, 2014
Thank you for sending this my way, I'm looking forward to reading it, but as my TBR pile is massive it may be a while before I get to it :-)

Journal Entry 4 by wingyorkshire-lasswing at Maidstone, Kent United Kingdom on Thursday, March 05, 2020
So sorry but I just couldn't get into this, so I will make it AVL for another reader.

Journal Entry 5 by wingyorkshire-lasswing at Maidstone, Kent United Kingdom on Sunday, September 13, 2020

Released 7 mos ago (9/15/2020 UTC) at Maidstone, Kent United Kingdom

This is going into the Already Crossed Book Box.

Journal Entry 6 by lelley at Scarborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, October 13, 2020
Received this in the already bookcrossed book box.
Leaving it in the box :)

Journal Entry 7 by Flutterbies9 at Meare, Somerset United Kingdom on Wednesday, January 06, 2021
Received in the bookbox on its return home.
I may well read this version of a retelling of the Beowulf story which is very familiar to me, so I will put this on tbr for the moment.

Journal Entry 8 by Flutterbies9 at Meare, Somerset United Kingdom on Monday, April 12, 2021
Well, it did not stay on tbr for long - expecially considering how long some other books have resided on there!

A very interesting concept executed well - in fact, so well that at times I found myself thinking "must look up that reference" before remembering that it probably did not exist. Very glad I did also read the end authors notes, which I often miss, but in this case made a lot of sense.

I am not going to retell the Beowulf tale here but this is such a "realistic" take on what might have happened that it is highly intriguing and reads very well.

So, after thinking that I may not enjoy this book as much as some or possibly not even finish it, and as an experiment in reading something different, I did enjoy the tale all over again in this different format and raced through the small print in record time. I did not know it was also a film and have never seen it as a film.

I am not sure that I have any plans for this book at present, but who knows ....?

Journal Entry 9 by Flutterbies9 at RABCK, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Monday, April 12, 2021

Released 3 wks ago (4/13/2021 UTC) at RABCK, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

An unusual book which is worth a try but is excellent bookbox fodder otherwise!

Journal Entry 10 by wingteachiewing at High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire United Kingdom on Thursday, April 15, 2021
Thank you to my NSS partner for this Michael Crichton book. I haven't read any of his so look forward to finding a new author.