Shades of Grey: A Novel

by Jasper Fforde | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
ISBN: 0670019631 Global Overview for this book
Registered by HoserLauren of Burlington, Ontario Canada on 11/18/2013
Journal Entry 1 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Monday, November 18, 2013
I received this as a birthday gift from Bookcrosser Zosime.

From Chapters:
An astonishing, hotly anticipated new novel from the great literary fantasist and creator of Thursday Next, Jasper Fforde.

As long as anyone can remember, society has been ruled by a Colortocracy. From the underground feedpipes that keep the municipal park green to the healing hues viewed to cure illness to a social hierarchy based upon one''s limited color perception, society is dominated by color. In this world, you are what you can see.

Young Eddie Russett has no ambition to be anything other than a loyal drone of the Collective. With his better-than-average red perception, he could well marry Constance Oxblood and inherit the string works; he may even have enough red perception to make prefect.

For Eddie, life looks colorful. Life looks good.

But everything changes when he moves with his father, a respected swatchman, to East Carmine. There, he falls in love with a Grey named Jane who opens his eyes to the painful truth behind his seemingly perfect, rigidly controlled society.

Curiosity--a dangerous trait to display in a society that demands total conformity--gets the better of Eddie, who beings to wonder:
Why are there not enough spoons to go around?
Why is everything--and everyone--barcoded?
What happened to all the people who never returned from High Saffron?
And why, when you begin to question the world around you, do black-and-white certainties reduce themselves to shades of grey?

Part satire, part romance, part revolutionary thriller, this is the new world from the creative and comic genius of Jasper Fforde.

Journal Entry 2 by HoserLauren at Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Monday, January 06, 2014
After an unknown event in the old ways of life, Colortocracy started ruling society. Social classes are designated by which colour people can see and there are many rules set upon societies. It's quite different from life as we know it! Eddie Russett is a red and is sent to the fringes because he wants to improve the queueing system. He travels with his dad, who heals people through colour. When Eddie and his dad arrive in East Carmine, everything changes for them. The citizens of East Carmine tend to bend the rules a bit and there's a certain Grey who has caught Eddie's eye. Eddie is a bit too curious for his own good. Trying to figure out why a man pretended to be a purple instead of the grey he was and what happened to the last swatchman of East Carmine.

This book is one of the most creative books I've read. Building a society based purely on colour perception is such an interesting concept. Fforde goes beyond that and creates many additional ways of life different from current day. For example, spoons are a premium as they are no longer allowed to be made.

I found myself wondering if I could only see one colour which would it be? Purple is my favourite colour so I'd like to see that, but I think that blue would probably be my colour. I would want to be able to see the natural colour of the sky and bodies of water.

Having only read a few books in Fforde's Thursday Next series, this book exceeded my expectations. It is whitty, imaginative, humourous, and endearing.

Journal Entry 3 by HoserLauren at Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Thursday, February 13, 2014
Mailed today to my birthday partner! Hope you enjoy!