Friends in High Places

by Donna Leon | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by wingcrimson-tidewing of Balingup, Western Australia Australia on 11/10/2013
Journal Entry 1 by wingcrimson-tidewing from Balingup, Western Australia Australia on Sunday, November 10, 2013
Number nine of the Commissario Brunetti series, set in Venice.
Duplicate copy.

When Commissario Guido Brunetti is visited by a young bureaucrat investigating the lack of official approval for the building of his apartment years earlier, his first reaction, like any other Venetian, is to think of whom he knows who might bring pressure to bear on the relevant government department. But when the bureaucrat rings Brunetti at work, clearly scared, and is then found dead after a fall from scaffolding, something is obviously going on that has implications greater than the fate of Brunetti's apartment ...

Journal Entry 2 by wingcrimson-tidewing at Balingup, Western Australia Australia on Thursday, June 26, 2014
Another strong offering from Leon's Brunetti series. The corruption and bureaucratic incompetence which is rife in Italy comes to the fore here, along with drug dealing and shady moneylenders. A great read.

edit 31st July: reserved for Cassiopaeia as a rabck.

Journal Entry 3 by wingcrimson-tidewing at Balingup, Western Australia Australia on Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Released 7 yrs ago (8/6/2014 UTC) at Balingup, Western Australia Australia

Posted off to Wales as a rabck to Cassiopaeia. Hope you enjoy it.

Journal Entry 4 by wingCassiopaeiawing at Cardiff, Wales United Kingdom on Friday, August 15, 2014
Arrived with the sunshine today! Thank you crimson-tide for sending. I think this might be next in the series for me, if not only one before it! I'll check it out later.

Journal Entry 5 by wingCassiopaeiawing at Cardiff, Wales United Kingdom on Tuesday, October 14, 2014
This is certainly the best Donna Leon I have read. Previously, in the series, the stories were interesting, but most of the pleasure came from the sense of place and culture. Friends in a High Places however is gritty and realistic, touching far more on the bribery and corruption that pervades public life in Italy. We also see Brunetti in the light of his personal moral dilemmas and wonder how he will balance his beliefs with reality. I hope Leon can sustain this quality.

Journal Entry 6 by wingCassiopaeiawing at Cardiff, Wales United Kingdom on Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Released 6 yrs ago (2/12/2015 UTC) at Cardiff, Wales United Kingdom

Read and Release at BookCrossing.com...
By mail to France.

Journal Entry 7 by bluenoser at Eymet, Aquitaine France on Monday, February 16, 2015
Thank you so much for sending a couple of Donna Leon books to France Cassiopaeia. I love her Commissario Guido Brunetti series and don't mind reading them out of order at all.
This book is now in its third country, another Bookcrossing jet-setter book.

Journal Entry 8 by bluenoser at Eymet, Aquitaine France on Tuesday, April 21, 2015
I love all the Guido Brunetti series and this is certainly one of the best. The characters, both good and bad, are three dimensional, easy to imagine as real people.
I'm very pleased to sit in the French sunshine, enjoying a book that started its journey in sunny Australia and has come here via beautiful Wales. Thanks for sharing.