Secret Daughter: A Novel

by Shilpi Somaya Gowda | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 0061974307 Global Overview for this book
Registered by cestmoi of Hamilton, Ontario Canada on 11/8/2013
Journal Entry 1 by cestmoi from Hamilton, Ontario Canada on Friday, November 08, 2013
From the Back Cover
Somer’s life is everything sheimagined it would be—she’snewly married and has startedher career as a physician in SanFrancisco—until she makes the devastatingdiscovery she never will beable to have children.

The same year in India, a poormother makes the heartbreakingchoice to save her newborn daughter’slife by giving her away. It is adecision that will haunt Kavita forthe rest of her life, and cause aripple effect that travels across theworld and back again.

Asha, adopted out of a Mumbaiorphanage, is the child that bindsthe destinies of these two women. Wefollow both families, invisibly connecteduntil Asha’s journey of self-discoveryleads her back to India.

Compulsively readable anddeeply touching, Secret Daughter isa story of the unforeseen ways inwhich our choices and families affectour lives, and the indelible power oflove in all its many forms.

Journal Entry 2 by cestmoi at Hamilton, Ontario Canada on Sunday, November 10, 2013
What a wonderful novel!

I enjoyed this so much. I could not put it down and at the same time I didn't want it to ever end. I wanted to know everything possible about Asha and Kavita and Somer.

Mostly this story is about the endurance of a mother's love for her child and how that love shapes her life.

It made me laugh and it brought tears to my eyes and at one point, I was unable to stop the tears flowing. It made me think of my own mother and of my own children, the three people who have taught me the most about love in my own life.

Journal Entry 3 by cestmoi at Hamilton, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, January 22, 2014
Taking to the next Toronto meet up on Jan 25th for another bookcrosser.

Enjoy!

Journal Entry 4 by Bookgirrl at Toronto, Ontario Canada on Saturday, January 25, 2014
Now that I see the cover, I am sure I had this book in my possession three or four years ago, but must have passed it on, after keeping it for too long. So…I will make a concerted effort to get through it this time!

Journal Entry 5 by Bookgirrl at Toronto, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, April 16, 2014
The last in the "Series of 4" with South Asian themes/characters from Cestmoi. This one is a real page turner and educational. I think it's a "Female Book" (not Chicklit, but you know what I mean). The horrific, criminal practice of killing newborn girls/sex-seletive abortion continues in India, Pakistan and other countries. My cousin saw it in China (20 years ago when she was living there). We are now combatting clinics in Canada that offer super-early pre-natal tests for sex detection. 'Makes you angry and sad.

Journal Entry 6 by Bookgirrl at Acton, Ontario Canada on Saturday, December 06, 2014
A very good book. I really enjoyed it. Taking to Harbord House Pub meetup tomorrow.

Journal Entry 7 by Bookgirrl at Harbord House Pub in Toronto, Ontario Canada on Saturday, December 06, 2014

Released 4 yrs ago (12/7/2014 UTC) at Harbord House Pub in Toronto, Ontario Canada

Dear Finder of this book: You have found a free, "travelling" book with a unique ID number. Bookcrossing is like geo-caching for books. It is free and anonymous, and aims to "make the whole world a library". Please take a moment to make a short journal entry (see label inside the cover) so we know it's been found. When you are done with the book, pass it on and help its journey continue.