corner corner W or The Memory of Childhood

W or The Memory of Childhood
by Georges Perec | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingStoepbrakwing of Cape Town, Western Cape South Africa on 11/3/2013

status (set by 1001-library): available

Journal Entry 1 by wingStoepbrakwing from Cape Town, Western Cape South Africa on Sunday, November 03, 2013

Synopsis (Credit: Back cover)

Written in alternating chapters, W or The Memory of Childhood tells two parallel tales, in two parts.

One is a story created in childhood and about childhood. The other story is about two people called Gaspard Wincler: one an eight-year-old deaf-mute lost in a shipwrck, the other a man despatched to search for him, who discovers W, an island state based on the rules of sport. As the two tales move in and out of focus, the disturbing truth about the island of W reveals itself.

On the Combined 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die List.

Translated from French by David Bellos.

(Bought new at Bargain Books, N1 City, Goodwood.)

Journal Entry 2 by wingStoepbrakwing at Cape Town, Western Cape South Africa on Monday, November 11, 2013

Right until the last couple of pages I had no idea how the author was going to bring the various narratives together. Worse, I was dreading that it would turn out to be another meaningless fable of abhorrence.

My fears were unfounded. Perec clearly knows his craft and understands the darker side of human nature.

It would be difficult to say more about the book without spoiling it for new readers. The following reviews might be useful afterwards, or for those who don't mind spoilers:
Wikipedia
Publishers Weekly
Late Night Library

The book reminded me of Beatrice and Virgil by Yann Martel: similar themes, similar story-telling mastery, similar sting in the tail.

Journal Entry 3 by wingStoepbrakwing at Cape Town, Western Cape South Africa on Monday, November 11, 2013

I noticed there was no English translation of this book in the 1001-library and felt that should be rectified.

Donated to the 1001-library to be included in the library of books on the combined 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die list.

If you are interested, let me know.

Journal Entry 4 by 1001-library at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Thanks so much for your donation Stoepbrak!

This book is now part of the 1001-library. If you want to take this book from the library but don't know how to proceed, please refer to the 1001-library bookshelf