the hundred year old man who climbed out the window and disappeared

by Jonas Jonasson | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by ccardoso33 of Southsea, Hampshire United Kingdom on 11/1/2013
Journal Entry 1 by ccardoso33 from Southsea, Hampshire United Kingdom on Friday, November 01, 2013
Loved this book. I got it because I loved the cover and I thoroughly enjoyed the book!

Journal Entry 2 by ccardoso33 at Southsea, Hampshire United Kingdom on Friday, November 01, 2013

Released 6 yrs ago (11/1/2013 UTC) at Southsea, Hampshire United Kingdom

Released as part of the tagging game

Journal Entry 3 by garibaldisghost at Nottingham, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on Sunday, November 03, 2013
Safely received, ta. Having read the blurb, methinks this will be going right to the top of my to be read pile!

Journal Entry 4 by garibaldisghost at Nottingham, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on Sunday, December 08, 2013
I absolutely loved this book. Allan Karlsson makes Forrest Gump seem like a complete amateur!

Released 5 yrs ago (1/18/2014 UTC) at Divine Coffee at the Galleries of Justice in Nottingham, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom

Off to the bookcrossing first meet up of the New Year. If no one fancies this wonderful book it will stay on the shelves in the cafe until someone espies it.

Journal Entry 6 by beeofgoodcheer at Sheffield, South Yorkshire United Kingdom on Saturday, January 10, 2015
Niksoki and I both appear to have a copy of this book, so I'm passing this one on.

Journal Entry 7 by beeofgoodcheer at CoffeeLink, Neptune Marina in Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom on Saturday, January 10, 2015

Released 4 yrs ago (1/10/2015 UTC) at CoffeeLink, Neptune Marina in Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom

Happy trails, little book! I hope you have an interesting journey!

Journal Entry 8 by BookGroupMan at Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom on Saturday, January 10, 2015
Cool, this is one of those books that i've seen and was tempted to buy...so pleased that it has turned up at the Ipswich meet-up. Thank Nic and all for sharing :)

(26/04/15)

This is great fun, and almost perfectly illustrates the picaresque style (definition: ‘relating to an episodic style of fiction dealing with the adventures of a rough and dishonest but appealing hero’). Think Forest Gump, Zelig (Woody Allen) and Logan Mountstuart (William Boyd’s Any Human Heart) and you have the gist of the unbelievable journey that you are about to undertake!

It all starts – but doesn’t end – with the Allan Karlsson escaping from his care home, the bad-tempered Alice, and his impending 100th birthday party celebrations. He embarks on his last great adventure, evading the law, finding love, and continuing to ‘find’ luck and high drama without really looking for either. As the current-day plot unfolds we hear about his incredible life, including ‘inventing’ the atom bomb, working for several US Presidents,, Mao, and General Franco, falling out with Stalin, and a young Kim Jung-Un. There's also Albert Einstein's dim-witted brother Albert, as I say daft, but fun. Oh, and by the way he seems to spend a lot of time blowing things up, starting and ending with his own house, and taking in a whole Russian city!

It is a lovely light read, with a little pathos, a lot about friendship and a Candide-like desire for simplicity and honesty. Karlsson goes with the flow, eschewing all religion and politics, that’s for others to worry about. This should make a very interesting book group discussion; our book group choice for May, so I will be keeping for a little bit longer, and maybe watching the film :)

Released 4 yrs ago (6/13/2015 UTC) at CoffeeLink, Neptune Marina in Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom

I'm taking this along to tomorrow's Ipswich meet-up, my first for a few months. Looking forward to seeing everyone and sharing stuff :)

If you find this book, welcome to bookcrossing. Please read, journal and pass on...