Tales from Moominvalley

by Tove Jansson | Children's Books |
Registered by wingTaryawing of Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on 10/21/2013
Journal Entry 1 by wingTaryawing from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Monday, October 21, 2013
The Spring Tune

One calm and cloudless evening, toward the end of April, Snufkin found himself far enough to the north to see still-unmelted patches of snow on the northern slopes.

He had been walking all day through undisturbed landscapes, listening to the cries of the birds also on their way northward, home from the South.

Walking had been easy, because his knapsack was nearly empty and he had no worries on his mind. He felt happy about the wood and the weather, and himself. Tomorrow and yesterday were both a a distance, and just at present the sun was shining brightly red between the birches, and the air was cool and soft.

"It's the right evening for a tune," Snufkin thought.

A new tune, one part expectation, two parts spring sadness, and for the rest just the great delight of walking alone and liking it.

Published in Finland as Det osynliga barnet 1962
Translated by Thomas Warburton

Farrar Straus Giroux 2010

Journal Entry 2 by wingTaryawing at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Monday, April 11, 2016

Released 3 yrs ago (4/12/2016 UTC) at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland

I'll take this Jansson's book to tomorrow's monthly meet-up for Crataegus. Jansson is probably the most famous Finnish author of children's books :)

Nice to have you here in Helsinki, Crataegus!

Lue ja vapauta - BookCrossing.com

Journal Entry 3 by Crataegus at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, April 12, 2016
I came to today's Helsinki Bookcrossing meeting with absolutely no idea what was in store for me. I left with 19 books!! I am so excited to take this one home to Canada! I visited the Moomin Museum in Tampere a couple months ago and didn't realize how philosophical the little trolls are! I'm really excited to take this one home.

Thank you for the warm welcome Tarja!

Journal Entry 4 by fracula at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, May 22, 2016
Oops! Missed journalling this book, which I picked up from Jennifer at our extra meet-up on April 28th.

I am looking forward to reading this sweet little traveling book.

Journal Entry 5 by fracula at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Friday, February 10, 2017

Released 2 yrs ago (2/11/2017 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Taking to the February meet-up of Calgary BookCrossers held at Cravings Market Restaurant.

Hope this book finds a new reader!

Journal Entry 6 by megami-no-ushi at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, April 08, 2017
Forgot to journal earlier.

Journal Entry 7 by megami-no-ushi at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, February 09, 2019

Released 11 mos ago (2/9/2019 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Taken to the February meeting!
I saw Moomin all over Japan but this was my first book! So cute!!

To the finder:

Journal Entry 8 by sing-song at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, February 10, 2019
Brought this home from the February meetup at Cravings.

Journal Entry 9 by sing-song at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Wednesday, November 27, 2019
What fun stories and characters. So interesting reading books from other cultures. even though this really is a fantasy from another culture. Thanks for the fun read.

Journal Entry 10 by sing-song at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Friday, December 13, 2019

Released 1 mo ago (12/13/2019 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

I am taking this to the December meetup at Cravings Restaurant.

Journal Entry 11 by claws-12 at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, December 15, 2019
picked up at Calgary's December meeting