The Marriage Plot

by Jeffrey Eugenides | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 125001316X Global Overview for this book
Registered by Luanalara of Erkelenz, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on 10/16/2013
Journal Entry 1 by Luanalara from Erkelenz, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Wednesday, October 16, 2013
Bought this book on holiday since I had foolishly forgotten about the BookRay I particpated in. *sigh* Well, since I couldn't get into the book at all it can just as well travel to someone who might appreciate it more. :)

Released 6 yrs ago (10/17/2013 UTC) at -- Per Post geschickt / Persönlich weitergegeben --, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany

For the European Wishlist tag. The book travels to anathema_device. I hope you enjoy it. :)

Journal Entry 3 by anathema-device at Graz, Steiermark Austria on Monday, October 21, 2013
Came home from work to find this in my mailbox. I enjoyed both The Virgin Suicides and Middlesex, but I was really skeptical about The Marriage Plot for quite some time (as you can probably tell by the fact that it's already 2013 and I still haven't read it). Looking forward to finding out more... Thanks for tagging me with this, Luanalara!

Journal Entry 4 by anathema-device at Graz, Steiermark Austria on Saturday, October 26, 2013

Started this tonight. I'm a Comparative Literature graduate - which might have something to do with the fact that even while I find this to be an easy, enjoyable read, it has me going on about Handke, Derrida, Barthes, etc. Already very much looking forward to all the expected meta-levels. My boyfriend is laughing while I'm typing this. :)

[27/10]
I just noticed that if you've read the books Eugenides keeps referring to (and if you read this as a structural Austen-mocking mock-Austen novel), it's possible to switch between an ironic position (the reader siding with the writer, winking, grinning) and an immersive one ("Oh, Salinger!") - then switching back to laugh at yourself and your reactions. And so on. I'm enjoying this immensely.

[01/11]
Finished. It's a really good book, but I think what I like most about it is Eugenides' writing style. Apart from being well-researched and brilliant, his books are always so *readable*. :)

Journal Entry 5 by anathema-device at Wishlist Tag Game , a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, December 08, 2013

Released 6 yrs ago (12/9/2013 UTC) at Wishlist Tag Game , a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

This book is now travelling all the way to Australia to visit J4shaw. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 6 by wingJ4shawwing at Darwin, Northern Territory Australia on Sunday, January 05, 2014
This book landed safe and sound in Northern Territory Australia.
I'm looking forward to this, Eugenides 3rd book.
Thanks for tagging me anathema-device