Monkey grip.

Darwin - Australia
by Helen Garner | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingJ4Shawwing of finding my place, Somewhere -- Controlled Releases on 1/8/2015
Journal Entry 1 by wingJ4Shawwing from finding my place, Somewhere -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, January 8, 2015
FROM THE BACK OF THE BOOK
first published January 1977
"Smack habit, love habit - what's the difference? They both can kill you."
Nora's addiction is romantic love;
Javo's is hard drugs.
Nora, 'a fast faker...neat, sharp and steady', and Javo, her violently blue eyed lover, are trapped in a desperate relationship. The harder they pull away, the tighter the monkey grip.

Journal Entry 2 by wingJ4Shawwing at Bayles, Victoria Australia on Sunday, February 22, 2015

Released 9 yrs ago (2/23/2015 UTC) at Bayles, Victoria Australia

I read this book for the 2015 Australian Women Writers Challenge

MY REVIEW
I loved how Helen Garner writes. She effortlessly writes about chaos, making it seem so normal!
So disappointed that I have not gotten into her books until now. This (her first novel) has sat on my Mount To Be Read pile for about 4 years.
With a hard hitting subject matter of loving a junkie and trying to slide this unfathomable complicatedness into your life, left me reminiscing over the unrequitedly 'loves' of my past, and how I was lucky not to bend myself too much to make the relationship work.
What a fantastic piece of Australian Literature from the 70s.

This one travels off with a few others to the winner of the 2015 Australian Literature Sweepstakes

Journal Entry 3 by Ellastix at Perth City, Western Australia Australia on Tuesday, March 3, 2015
Received today in a bag of books for the Australian Literature Sweepstakes. Thanks J4shaw!

Journal Entry 4 by Ellastix at Perth City, Western Australia Australia on Thursday, December 7, 2023

Released 2 mos ago (12/7/2023 UTC) at Perth City, Western Australia Australia

I tried really hard to read and enjoy this book before posting it off, but I found it a bit triggering and wasn't able to finish it. I'm unsure why because I have never been in the drug scene... I'm thinking it may have to do with the stories my parents have told about living in hippy share houses before they had kids, and reading this I just couldn't put away the fact that the main character had a child. Anyway. I tried. I read the first few chapters, tried again, and then flipped through and skimmed later sections through the book but I just couldn't get there.

Anyway, posted off yesterday as part of the Aus Wishlist Tag Game... I hope you love it the way I couldn't !!

Journal Entry 5 by leah152 at Bunbury, Western Australia Australia on Monday, December 11, 2023
Landed on my doorstep yesterday, thankyou! :O)