Closer By The Mile: The story of the country's most successful athletic fundraiser, the Pan-Massachusetts Challenge

by Ken Brack | Education |
Registered by book_drunkard of Osgood, Indiana USA on 9/23/2013
Journal Entry 1 by book_drunkard from Osgood, Indiana USA on Monday, September 23, 2013
I received this book through the Goodreads First-reads giveaway site.

This is the story of the athletic fundraiser, The Pan-Mass Challenge.
This was a real eye opener for me as I never realized before that there are so many, many different types of Cancer.
The story of 7 year old Hannah who receives a bone marrow transplant from her 5 year old sister, had me in tears. What wonderful, brave, sweet, loving, little girls.
I greatly admire this group of people who come together once a year to raise money for cancer research. May they be richly blessed for helping Hannah, and the many more like her.

Journal Entry 2 by book_drunkard at Wishlist Tag, by mail -- Controlled Releases on Friday, January 24, 2014

Released 5 yrs ago (1/24/2014 UTC) at Wishlist Tag, by mail -- Controlled Releases

The Wishlist Tag Game Biography Book that I tagged you with forever ago.
So sorry for the delay in getting this mailed out to you.
I hope you enjoy it!

Journal Entry 3 by wingNancyNovawing at Lansdale, Pennsylvania USA on Saturday, February 01, 2014
ooh - this looks like an intriguing book, and the note from the author is a bonus! Tucked that away inside and adding this to the tagged TBR stash, to eventually be matched with a read or release challenge.

Thank you!

Journal Entry 4 by wingNancyNovawing at Lansdale, Pennsylvania USA on Sunday, April 16, 2017
rabck from book_drunkard; lovely book about a bike-ride to raise money in Massachusetts for cancer research. I have a friend who rides in the Philly MS Bike to the Shore every September. I had no idea what it took to pull an event like that off. Loved one quote: " To the world you just may be one person, but to one person you just may be the world". That about sums up everyone's efforts, from the riders to all the volunteers on the side lines. This one will move forward in the Things bookbox.

Journal Entry 5 by wingNancyNovawing at -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Sunday, May 14, 2017

Released 2 yrs ago (5/14/2017 UTC) at -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

Into the Things bookbox

Journal Entry 6 by wing6of8wing at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, Utah USA on Monday, August 14, 2017
In the book box when it came back to me.

Journal Entry 7 by wing6of8wing at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, Maryland USA on Saturday, February 10, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (2/10/2018 UTC) at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, Maryland USA

This book is back in the Biographies of Things book box and on its way to Florida.

Journal Entry 8 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Wednesday, April 18, 2018
Made a short stop at my house for Biographies of Things book box. It will stay in the box.

Journal Entry 9 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, May 26, 2018
I'm claiming this from the Biographies of Things bookbox. Its regional setting adds interest to an already-worthy subject.

Later: An inspiring account of the fund-raising bike ride, with a route from upstate New York across the length of Massachusetts all the way up the Cape to Provincetown. (There are alternate starting points for people who want to participate but can't do the whole thing; I like seeing these options.)

The book touches on the history of the challenge and on the details of organizing and carrying out such a thing - but it also highlights the stories of some of the people who've benefited from the funds raised over the years, and emphasizes the need to continue to support cancer research.

Journal Entry 10 by wingGoryDetailswing at River Road Tavern in Bedford, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, June 12, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (6/12/2018 UTC) at River Road Tavern in Bedford, New Hampshire USA

I plan to leave this book in the entrance to the tavern while stopping by for lunch; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

*** Released for the 2018 Keep Them Moving release challenge. ***

*** Released for the 2018 Allergic to A release challenge. ***

Journal Entry 11 by jennrobichaud at Bedford, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, June 13, 2018
So excited to find this book at River Road Tavern in Bedford! I have friends participating in the PMC this year. I’ll be sending it back on its journey soon.