Ali And Nino

by Said, Kurban | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingBoekentrolwing of Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on 9/21/2013
Journal Entry 1 by wingBoekentrolwing from Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Saturday, September 21, 2013
Synopsis:
"Ali Khan and Nino Kipiani live in the cosmopolitan, oil-rich capital of Azerbaijan which, at the beginning of the twentieth century, is a melting-pot of different cultures. Ali is a Muslim, with his ancestors' passion for the desert, and Nino is a Christian Georgian girl with sophisticated European ways. Despite their differences, the two have loved each other since childhood and Ali is determined that he will marry Nino as soon as she leaves school. But there is not only the obstacle of their different religions and parental consent to overcome. The First World War breaks out. As the Russians withdraw, the Turks advance, and Ali and Nino find themselves swept up in Azerbaijan's fight for independence."

Journal Entry 2 by wingBoekentrolwing at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Saturday, October 03, 2015
A lovely book. Although I usually dislike romance or love stories of any kind, this book was a nice exeption. Probably because there was so much information on other things as well (culture, religion, war, politics).
And that was also the reason, why it was a slow read. I'm glad this book from my wishlist, that I have wanted to read for so long, turned out quite nice :-)

Journal Entry 3 by wingBoekentrolwing at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Released 4 yrs ago (11/25/2015 UTC) at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands

On its way to the first reader in the ray, Abi-Gibby.
Safe travels, little book!

Participants (in shipping order):
Abi-Gibby, UK, EU <------------ book is here (28-11)
Arvores, Portugal, EU
Edwardstreet, NZ, intl
Bulan-Purnama, USA, USA
vaga-bonde, Haïti (with US postal address), US
....

Journal Entry 4 by wingAbi-Gibbywing at Millbrook, Cornwall United Kingdom on Saturday, November 28, 2015
Arrived safely with me today. I have two other books to read first, then I'll get onto this one. Would you be able to put up the partisipant list please

Journal Entry 5 by wingAbi-Gibbywing at Millbrook, Cornwall United Kingdom on Sunday, December 06, 2015
From the preface it sounded like a fantastic book the outbreak of WW1, and azerbijan fights for its independence. Quite frankly I found the book very dissapointing. It just didn't make sense. I found the story was lacking in likeable characters who I thought were both highly rude, irritating and very annoying. I found Ali to be a bit of a bigot, not very nice and highly violent, and who only likes Nino for he physical beauty/ appearance. And I found Nino to be very selfish, and submissive.

I felt like the story wasn't going anywhere and that it wasn't really going anywhere. If it wasn't for my book club I wouldn't if bothered reading this book as I thought that this book wasn't very easy to read

Journal Entry 6 by wingArvoreswing at Porto Santo (ilha), Madeira Portugal on Monday, January 18, 2016
Arrived today!
I hope I can cope with all the readings that have been arriving :-/
I'll let you know.
Thanks for sharing

Journal Entry 7 by wingArvoreswing at Porto Santo (ilha), Madeira Portugal on Wednesday, March 23, 2016
I'm sorry for keeping this book longer than I should. There were health issues to be solved.
The book will be sent to Andrasthe, as soon as I get her OK.

Thank you for sharing.

Journal Entry 8 by wingArvoreswing at Porto Santo (ilha), Madeira Portugal on Tuesday, March 29, 2016
Sent to Andrasthe today.
Enjoy! :-)

Journal Entry 9 by Andrasthe at Klagenfurt, Kärnten Austria on Wednesday, April 06, 2016
got it

Journal Entry 10 by wingpenelopewanderswing at Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Thursday, June 16, 2016
This and another book have arrived together safely here in the Swiss Alps. thanks so much for sending. Another two weeks of end of term craziness and then I can tackle this.

Journal Entry 11 by wingpenelopewanderswing at Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Saturday, July 02, 2016
Several rings arrived at the same time, and I actually meant to start a different one, but misplaced it for a few days. Meanwhile I had picked this one up.
As I read somewhere when deciding to sign up for this, it is indeed a very unique perspective on a world that if not completely gone, has certainly shrunk and faded. From a historical point of view it was fascinating, although in terms of a love story... It provides an excellent opportunity to ponder the different faces of love.
In the end, it is a tragic tale, but well worth reading, for it allows entrance to a facet of our world many can not even begin to imagine.
I have written for the next address. Thank you so much for making this book available.

Journal Entry 12 by wingpenelopewanderswing at Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Tuesday, July 05, 2016

Released 3 yrs ago (7/5/2016 UTC) at Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland

I was going to wait to send this from France, where they have had a great book tariff, but once parcelled I guessed this would go as a letter- and it did. So it is now heading from the Swiss Alps, which is not part of the EU, over to that island over there - ah yes, the UK. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 13 by winggreenbadgerwing at St Albans, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Sunday, July 17, 2016
It's arrived, thank you! Of course straight after another ray book, and I have a few I need to read before that, so I will be a little while in getting to this, sorry.

Journal Entry 14 by winggreenbadgerwing at St Albans, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, August 09, 2016
This is Romeo and Juliet for the 20th Century. Set in the Caucasus, right on the cusp of Europe and Asia, when Muslim Ali and Christian Nino fall in love they have not only the opposition of their families and cultural differences to worry about but also the outbreak of World War One. This is a wonderful story, set against the founding of the nation of Azerbaijan and full of local colour. How do you reconcile a love of trees and a love of the desert?

Journal Entry 15 by winggreenbadgerwing at St Albans, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Thursday, August 11, 2016

Released 3 yrs ago (8/11/2016 UTC) at St Albans, Hertfordshire United Kingdom

On its way to Jotka. Enjoy! :)

Journal Entry 16 by Jotka at Cottbus, Brandenburg Germany on Thursday, August 18, 2016
Book arrived yesterday - thank you for sending it and for a nice card.

September 2016
I'm really impressed. It took me a while to read this book, but I didn't wanted to finish it to early.

Edwardstreet wants to be skipped.

Journal Entry 17 by Jotka at Cottbus, Brandenburg Germany on Friday, September 23, 2016

Released 3 yrs ago (9/23/2016 UTC) at Cottbus, Brandenburg Germany

I'm going to send it today to Bulan-Purnama.

Journal Entry 18 by Bulan-Purnama at Springfield, Oregon USA on Friday, September 30, 2016
Book is here in Oregon ! thanks Jotka for mailing.

Journal Entry 19 by Bulan-Purnama at Springfield, Oregon USA on Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Released 3 yrs ago (12/27/2016 UTC) at Springfield, Oregon USA

Finally Finished with this book, some part for me a little boring. Overall it is an interesting story. Mailing to the next reader.

Journal Entry 20 by wingvaga-bondewing at Port-au-Prince, Ouest Haiti on Tuesday, January 17, 2017
The book is now here with me in Port au Prince, Haiti. Thank you Bulan-Purnama for mailing it to me. Since I seem to be the last one on this bookray, I will take the time to finish my current read before starting this new one.

Journal Entry 21 by wingvaga-bondewing at Port-au-Prince, Ouest Haiti on Tuesday, January 24, 2017
I liked the historical part of the story, about Azerbaijan, torn between East and West and fighting for its independence during a very complicated time of international upheaval and political alliances. But I didn't care much for the love story and found neither of the two main characters very appealing.
Thanks for the opportunity to read this book nonetheless.

Journal Entry 22 by wingvaga-bondewing at Colonial Williamsburg in Williamsburg, Virginia USA on Saturday, April 01, 2017

Released 2 yrs ago (4/1/2017 UTC) at Colonial Williamsburg in Williamsburg, Virginia USA

Hello
Thank you for telling me (even anonymously) that you have found this book by leaving a note here.
Don't forget to release this book again after having read it, via this site, or by giving it to somebody, so it can continue its journey and you can follow it too.
Happy reading!