Breath

by Tim Winton | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingDavros-10wing of Lutwyche, Queensland Australia on 9/18/2013
Journal Entry 1 by wingDavros-10wing from Lutwyche, Queensland Australia on Wednesday, September 18, 2013
THE NUMBER ONE BESTSELLER - Winner of the Miles Franklin Literary Award 2009

When paramedic Bruce Pike is called out to deal with another teenage adventure gone wrong, he knows better than his partner - better than the parents - what happened and how. Thirty years before, that dead boy could have been him.

'It's unlikely Winton has ever written as well as he writes in Breath... Its seeming simplicity is deceptive, for beneath its pared-back surfaces lies all the steel of a major novelist operating at full throttle in a territory he has spent 25 years making his own.' - James Bradley, THE AGE

'A novelist who, to a peerless degree, has learnt how to do it...Breath seems to cut through everything, and to speak with unusual honesty.' - Philip Hensher, SPECTATOR

'An absorbing, powerful and deeply beautiful novel, a meditation on surfing which becomes a rumination about the very stuff of existence.' - Helen Gordon, THE OBSERVER

'This brilliant book may well turn out to be the finest thing that Winton has done.' - Andrew Riemer, SYDNEY MORNING HERALD

'Breath is about moving out of your depth, getting in over your head, having your soul damaged beyond repair ...But against all this pointless sorrow, there remains the evanescent beauty of the world, and Winton matches that with limitlessly beautiful prose.' - Carolyn See, WASHINGTON POST

Amazon.com Product Details:
Paperback: 268 pages
Publisher: Penguin Australia (April 29, 2009)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0143009583
ISBN-13: 978-0143009580
Product Dimensions: 0.6 x 5.4 x 8.2 inches
Shipping Weight: 6.4 ounces
Average Customer Review: 4.1 out of 5 stars (73 customer reviews)

Journal Entry 2 by wingDavros-10wing at Lutwyche, Queensland Australia on Sunday, September 29, 2013
To be honest I found the entire middle section of this book dreary and uninteresting. While I can see that the endless page after page after page after page banging on endlessly about surfing might be interesting to some readers in how much detail Tim Winton goes into, and I acknowledge that he describes the emotions of the surfers very well, it is of no interest whatsoever to me.

The first chapter introducing the main character and his compassion at finding a young teen dead from autoasphyxiation, and the last couple of chapters are excellent though.

Journal Entry 3 by wingDavros-10wing at Lutwyche Shopping Centre in Lutwyche, Queensland Australia on Thursday, December 26, 2013

Released 5 yrs ago (12/26/2013 UTC) at Lutwyche Shopping Centre in Lutwyche, Queensland Australia

Welcome to BookCrossing!

Thanks for checking the site out. I hope you enjoy both the book and the site. People all over the world are tracking their books through BookCrossing. While you're here, I'd really appreciate it if you'd make a journal entry for this book so I know that it's safe. You may choose to remain anonymous or to join (it's free).

If you do decide to become a BookCrosser please consider using me, Davros-10, as the member who referred you. If you are already familiar with BookCrossing, thanks for picking up the book, I hope it is one you were looking for!

Please feel free to keep this book for as long as you wish, and whenever you're ready pass it on to a friend, or leave it "in the wild" for someone else to find. Then watch its journey - you'll be alerted by email each time someone makes a new journal entry. It's all confidential, free and fun (and addictive - but in a GOOD way)!

Left on the Freebies machine.

Released for the 2013 Never Judge A Book By Its Cover Release Challenge: Week 51 (Winter Wherever You Are).