War Horse

by Michael Morpurgo | Children's Books |
Registered by sing-song of Calgary, Alberta Canada on 9/11/2013
Journal Entry 1 by sing-song from Calgary, Alberta Canada on Wednesday, September 11, 2013
This number 1 bestselling book is the incredibly moving story of one horse’s experience in the deadly chaos of the First World War. In 1914, Joey, a young farm horse, is sold to the army and thrust into the midst of the war on the Western Front. With his officer, he charges towards the enemy, witnessing the horror of the frontline. But even in the desolation of the trenches, Joey’s courage touches the soldiers around him.
What a wonderful story. I first saw the stage production in New York (truly amazing portrayal), then I read the book and really enjoyed the way the story was told, and I also saw the movie. Hope the next reader is interested in seeing the stage production as the puppets they use are amazing.

Journal Entry 2 by sing-song at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Friday, September 13, 2013

Released 8 yrs ago (9/14/2013 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

I am taking this to the September meeting at Cravings. Time for it to find a new reader.

Journal Entry 3 by Eri-Cherry at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, September 14, 2013
Picked up at get together.

Journal Entry 4 by Eri-Cherry at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Monday, October 28, 2013
This book was such an easy read, and I really wanted to know what happened, so I read it in a day. I really enjoyed it. It wasn't what I was expecting since I didn't realize that the story was told from the point of view of the horse, which was nice because then there was no prejudice between one side in the war or the other, the horse only noticed differences between people as individuals. I also wasn't expecting the horse to travel through so many different roles. I also liked that it wasn't an overly depressing book, though the flow of the story still made me tear up a couple of times.

Thanks for the excellent read!

Journal Entry 5 by Eri-Cherry at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, November 9, 2013

Released 7 yrs ago (11/9/2013 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Taken to get together.

Journal Entry 6 by BookyMcBooks at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Tuesday, November 12, 2013
Picked up at November book crossing meeting.

Journal Entry 7 by BookyMcBooks at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, December 14, 2013
Friendship. War. Horses. Great story told through a unique perspective.

Journal Entry 8 by nada50 at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, December 14, 2013
Picked up at the December Bookcrossing meetup.

Journal Entry 9 by BookyMcBooks at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, December 15, 2013
CONTROLLED RELEASE NOTES: Taken to get together.

Journal Entry 10 by nada50 at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, March 23, 2014
Heartwarming war story from the perspective of a horse. Brought a few tears to my eyes. Beautifully written.

Journal Entry 11 by megami-no-ushi at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Monday, June 16, 2014
Picked up at the meeting!

Journal Entry 12 by megami-no-ushi at Cravings Market Restaurant in Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, July 9, 2016

Released 5 yrs ago (7/9/2016 UTC) at Cravings Market Restaurant in Calgary, Alberta Canada

Taking to the July meeting for the valour theme!

To the finder:

Journal Entry 13 by agcollett at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, July 10, 2016
Picked up at the Bookcrossing Meeting at Cravings.

Journal Entry 14 by agcollett at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, September 10, 2016

Released 5 yrs ago (9/10/2016 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Will be releasing book at Calgary Bookcrossing meeting at Craves

Journal Entry 15 by agcollett at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Thursday, September 22, 2016
The Calgary meeting group convinced me to not release it yet and to give it a read.

Journal Entry 16 by agcollett at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Friday, February 10, 2017

Released 4 yrs ago (2/11/2017 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Will Release at Calgary Craves monthly meeting

Journal Entry 17 by reveredchicken at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Monday, February 13, 2017
Picked up this book at the Calgary bookcrossing meeting at Cravings Market on Feb 11/17

Journal Entry 18 by reveredchicken at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, December 9, 2017
This book follows a horse through extraordinary circumstances. Seeing the war through a horses eyes makes you wonder if its all as complicated as we seem to think it is. A simple read that makes you realize that we are more similar then we tell ourselves.

Journal Entry 19 by reveredchicken at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, December 9, 2017

Released 3 yrs ago (12/9/2017 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Releasing at Cravings Market Restaurant at monthly Calgary book crossing meeting.

Journal Entry 20 by L-Marie at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, December 17, 2017
Just picked up and haven't read yet. I never saw the movie, but saw the trailers and so I thought I would read the book now.

Journal Entry 21 by L-Marie at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, March 10, 2018
I really enjoyed this book, as it was told from the horse's point of view. I didn't realize that horses were used for so many things in the first world war, such as carrying the injured to hospitals, carrying guns and ammunition and so many other things. It was a very moving book. It was a very easy read and I read it within a day.

Journal Entry 22 by L-Marie at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, March 10, 2018

Released 3 yrs ago (3/9/2018 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

A very moving story. It was interesting to read it from the horse's point of view. It showed how much horses were used in the first world war such as carrying the wounded, guns and ammunition. It was a lovely book