Mr. Darcy Broke My Heart: A Novel

by Beth Pattillo | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by wingelizardbreathwing of Bella Vista, Arkansas USA on 8/27/2013
Journal Entry 1 by wingelizardbreathwing from Bella Vista, Arkansas USA on Tuesday, August 27, 2013
Received in a trade from paperbackswap.com.

Journal Entry 2 by wingelizardbreathwing at Bella Vista, Arkansas USA on Sunday, August 10, 2014
Ugh. I really wanted to love this story but, like the other Jane book by Pattillo, there was just too much patheticness going on. This story wouldn't have been so disappointingly predictable if it wasn't so much like her other one, Jane Austen Ruined My Life. If you've not read it, great. If so, go into this one knowing that it's pretty much the same story, different scenario.

There were several unbelievable parts, well besides the REALLY BIG unbelievable parts. The "old writing" doesn't sound anywhere remotely near Austen. Also, Claire is supposed to know pretty much nothing about Austen, yet she's able to say the manuscript, "had a certain quality that seemed so close to the original." Re-he-heeeeellly???"

I do have to say that I love the idea of a Jane Austen Secret Society and this book prompted me to apply for a JASNA chapter here in NW Arkansas.

I was annoyed that 150 pages in she suddenly has an epiphany about her relationship with her sister and her own co-dependent tendencies, etc., but there's not enough story there in the first 150 pages for the reader to share this revelation or even to say, "Thank God she gets it!"

Like I said, I do love the Jane Austen "Underground" idea and I think Pattillo could continue on with a great series---she just needs to be more diversified in her story lines. Seriously... even the dress in the cover art is too similar. Surely not every Austen fan walks around England in a cherry red backless, sleeveless dress? And...her heroine's boyfriend shows up out of the blue from the US---in BOTH? And...she's pursued by a fake suitor---in BOTH? Hello???

I am keeping this in my permanent collection, but only because I decided to keep the other one and I'm weird about having a matched set.

To the finder of this book:

Thanks, and Happy BookCrossing! :)