Sarah Thornhill

by Kate Grenville | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingCassiopaeiawing of Cardiff, Wales United Kingdom on 8/20/2013
Journal Entry 1 by wingCassiopaeiawing from Cardiff, Wales United Kingdom on Tuesday, August 20, 2013
From the Back Cover
Sarah and Jack have never doubted that they are made for each other. But there is someone in Sarah's family who will not tolerate the relationship. The reason lies in both the past and the present, and it will take Sarah across an ocean to a place she never imagined she would be. Kate Grenville takes us back to the Australia of The Secret River in this novel about love, tangled histories and how it matters to keep stories alive.

Journal Entry 2 by wingCassiopaeiawing at Cardiff, Wales United Kingdom on Tuesday, August 20, 2013
This is one of those books that at first is deceptive in its simplicity, but the unfolding story has layers and depths which resonate over the generations. If you haven't yet done so, read The Secret River first. You can read Sarah Thornhill on its own but the impact is will be stronger when the stories of both generations are joined together.

Released 1 yr ago (11/17/2018 UTC) at Kings Arms, corner of Holywell Street in Oxford, Oxfordshire United Kingdom

Read and Release at BookCrossing.com...

Taken to the meet up.
Happy reading.

Journal Entry 4 by herrgirl at Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Saturday, November 17, 2018
Picked up at today's Oxford meet. I've read "The Secret River" by the same author so have high hopes for this one.

It was good to see you again, cassiopaeia.

Journal Entry 5 by herrgirl at Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Monday, April 22, 2019
A follow up to "The Secret River" which I had enjoyed up to a point where events take place which resurface in this book. The family of "broad arrow" settler William Thornhill is well established in New South Wales, though the children are being brought up by a stepmother, a settler with a very different background. The story, told in the first person, is Sarah's account of her life and relationships against the continuing development of the colony, and the relationship with the native aboriginal population. I enjoyed it very much till the ending, which left me rather hanging in the air.

Journal Entry 6 by herrgirl at Cornerstone Arts Centre in Didcot, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Saturday, October 12, 2019

Released 7 mos ago (10/12/2019 UTC) at Cornerstone Arts Centre in Didcot, Oxfordshire United Kingdom

On bookshelves in the room at the back of the cafe area.

Journal Entry 7 by wingAnonymousFinderwing at Didcot, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Thursday, October 17, 2019
Picked up at Cornerstone, Didcot on 17 October 2019. Will take with me on a cruise
next week. May leave on ship in the "Book Swap" area if I finish during journey.
Looking forward to reading!