Waiting: The True Confessions of a Waitress

by Debra Ginsberg | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by JennyC1230 of Woodstock, Georgia USA on 8/5/2013
Journal Entry 1 by JennyC1230 from Woodstock, Georgia USA on Monday, August 05, 2013
Book Description: In a truly just world, everyone would have to wait tables for at least six months, just to know what it's like. Failing that, we have writer-waiter Debra Ginsberg's tasty memoir to remind us about life on the other side of those swinging doors. Horror stories? After 20 years of serving other people's food, she's got 'em--and being handed a drunk's vomit-soaked napkins certainly fits the bill. But even though she expresses the usual frustrations with bad tippers and control freaks, in the long run Ginsberg is anything but bitter. In fact, she recently left her publishing job to return to waiting tables, hooked on the freedom, spare time, and ready cash the lifestyle provides. Of course, there are other perks too. Sex thrives in the close quarters and steamy atmosphere of a typical restaurant (not to mention with the high-drama personalities who work there). Fans of Kitchen Confidential will be relieved to know there's as much bad behavior among the floor staff as there is in the back of the house. As in that book, Ginsberg also relates some eyebrow-raising tales about what can happen before your food gets to your table. (The moral here: "It really does pay to be nice to your server.") But Waiting is far more than just a sexual soap opera or a cautionary guide for dining out; it's also the story of one woman's coming of age, most of which just happens to take place while she's wearing an apron. During her tenure as a waitress, Ginsberg thrives as a single mother and comes into her own as a writer--and waiting (as she suggestively calls it) helps her do both. Most of us (including waiters) think of the profession as a stopgap, not a career, but what happens on the way to somewhere else, Ginsberg writes, is every bit as important as the final destination: "Perhaps the most valuable lesson I'd learned was that the act of waiting itself is an active one. That period of time between the anticipation and the beginning of life's events is when everything really happens--the time when actual living occurs."

Journal Entry 2 by JennyC1230 at Woodstock, Georgia USA on Saturday, August 17, 2013
My Review: This was a very interesting book. I've never waited tables, but I always try to treat my waiter/waitress with respect. Seriously, they're bringing your food, why are you going to act like a big shot and treat them like dirt?! That's called being a jackass in my book. I try to avoid being a jackass. I always tip 20% for exceptional service and 15% for mediocre service. I know that waiters/waitresses get most of their money from tips so I never skimp on that. If the service is horrible I will tell the manager, but still give 10% tip. People deserve the benefit of the doubt. I rarely ever get bad service and I think it's because I try to be friendly and respectful and not be too picky about things that don't matter to me.

This book focused on the writer's life and things she experienced while waiting tables. It's a really interesting view of people.

Reserved for a bookcrosser.

Journal Entry 3 by JennyC1230 at ~~~ ♥ ~~~ A Friend ~~~ ♥ ~~~, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Wednesday, September 04, 2013

Released 7 yrs ago (9/4/2013 UTC) at ~~~ ♥ ~~~ A Friend ~~~ ♥ ~~~, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

Sending to aetm. She saw it on my Instagram and said she would like to read it.

Aetm: You can do what you like after you read it. Enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 4 by aetm at Austin, Texas USA on Tuesday, September 10, 2013
The book has safely arrived in Austin, thank you Jennyc :)
I'm always fascinated by the stories from 'the other side', like what the pilots/doctors/waitresses etc see and how their world works. I've worked for a while as a waitress while studying in Italy (in the Southern parts, what an interesting mix of clientele indeed..), but I'm glad I'm not doing that any more. I kind of wish the waiting culture was more of a European (well, the Southern Italy does not qualify as everyone's working "in black" i.e. no taxes anyway) way; pay a living salary. It doesn't reduce the quality of service, at least if we compare to places like in most parts of Europe... anyway, let's see how much I learn. :)
I would never date a person who's mean to service personnel, whether it's waiters or stewards or tech support. It's often weird to see how mean some people can be sometimes and on purpose (while they try to get to a plane, to get some tech support for something they fubared, or while being served food in a nice place with their date that they are hoping to impress. No, no, bad..)

Journal Entry 5 by aetm at Austin, Texas USA on Tuesday, October 29, 2013
I enjoyed this book, and it was actually quite what I imagined the book to be (well, maybe more drama and confessions would have been even better. But so many books don't turn out like I imagined). Definitely for anyone who's ever served, waited, or worked in any industry where you have to please your customers (on the phone too).
I bet it'd have been quite different if it was published and written now, since this was out only about a decade ago, but so much have already changed. Like the whole celebrity chef phenomenon - I'm sure that would already bring plenty of drama and dirt to a newer version too. But that doesn't really take anything out of the book. I'd probably hire anyone who's been with a good twenty years a happy and well-earning server/waiter for a customer service job even in other fields. People skills are sometimes (often) hard to learn in school, but once you master the skills on the tables they'll be useful anywhere (and no, I didn't last that long on the tables).
Hm, now let's see... perhaps this book might travel around some restaurants next...

Journal Entry 6 by aetm at Asia Cafe or Asia Market in Austin, Texas USA on Monday, April 21, 2014

Released 6 yrs ago (4/21/2014 UTC) at Asia Cafe or Asia Market in Austin, Texas USA

On the newsstands in front of Asia Cafe and Asia Market!

Happy 1st international bookcrossing wild release day! :)

Safe journey little book - I hope you'll make many new friends on your travels!

"Don't ever apologize to an author for buying something in paperback, or taking it out from a library (that's what they're there for. Use your library). Don't apologize to this author for buying books second hand, or getting them from bookcrossing or borrowing a friend's copy. What's important to me is that people read the books and enjoy them, and that, at some point in there, the book was bought by someone. And that people who like things, tell other people. The most important thing is that people read... "
— Neil Gaiman

To the finder of this book:
Hello and congratulations! You have not only found yourself a good book, but a whole community of booklovers dedicated to sharing books with each other and the world at large. I hope you'll stick around a bit and get to know BookCrossing --maybe even make a journal entry on this book. You may choose to remain anonymous or to join (its free!)