Stone's Fall

by Iain Pears | Literature & Fiction | This book has not been rated.
Registered by 666Izzy of Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom on 7/27/2013
Journal Entry 1 by 666Izzy from Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom on Saturday, July 27, 2013
I got persuaded to part with 20p, to support a local charity, and got a book in return :-)

Journal Entry 2 by BookGroupMan at Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom on Wednesday, October 22, 2014
Thank you Izzy for remembering to pass this on (to read and return). From an earlier book group wot I missed...

Journal Entry 3 by BookGroupMan at Woodbridge, Suffolk United Kingdom on Monday, February 09, 2015
(08/02/15) *Slight spoiler alert*

If there weren’t a word that meant ‘complex’, then you would have to invent it for this book! A bit like David Mitchell (Cloud Atlas), this book tells a story backwards from a funeral and a mysterious will in 1953, and then to London in 1909, Paris in 1890 and Venice in 1867. To Pears credit he ties all the loose ends up and despite never quite knowing where the story’s various threads are going (or even what the loose ends are!) he sustains the interest for nearly 600 pages. I particularly liked the dreamlike description of a decrepit Venice pre-Thomas Cook.

There are 3 separate stories that tell us about industrialist Stone, his rise in wealth and influence, and the various political and high finance intrigues along the way. But we also gradually piece together the relationships and shared history of Stone with Henry Cort (an early spy, of the Smiley rather than the Bond type), his widow Elizabeth, his mysterious death and child.

Thanks for recommending this Izzy, I believe that you want this back to pass on again…

Journal Entry 4 by BookGroupMan at Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom on Saturday, February 14, 2015

Released 4 yrs ago (2/14/2015 UTC) at Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom

On its way back home today. Thanks Izzy.

Journal Entry 5 by 666Izzy at Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom on Saturday, February 14, 2015
Collected at the meeting earlier today, ready to be re-read.