A Visit From the Goon Squad

by Jennifer Egan | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by 4evagreen of Furness Vale, Derbyshire United Kingdom on 7/26/2013
Journal Entry 1 by 4evagreen from Furness Vale, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Friday, July 26, 2013
Received as a BookMooch.

Journal Entry 2 by 4evagreen at Furness Vale, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, December 03, 2019
I find this quite a hard book to review. Firstly it reads like a series of short stories featuring a group of characters who are either drop-outs or misfits and loosely linked to record producer Bennie Salazar, they range from his kleptomaniac assistant to various friends and family members.

Secondly I struggled with the fact that the stories aren't told in chronological order meaning sometimes I found it difficult to work out their connections. Nor are they told in the same way, some are narrated in the second person, another is told in first person plural, another is told in a celebrity interview format along with footnotes whilst another section of the book is told in a printed PowerPoint-style slides format.

All in all I found this an interesting use of techniques but for me at least also a muddled and confusing one. However, I did feel a certain empathy for the characters in their struggles against time. The book is at times funny at others sad and whilst it failed to really grab me I can at least see some of its merits and why others would enjoy it.

Journal Entry 3 by 4evagreen at Buxton, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Thursday, December 05, 2019

Released 1 mo ago (12/5/2019 UTC) at Buxton, Derbyshire United Kingdom

Going out as part of a Wishlist tag thread. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 4 by kingfan30 at -- Somewhere in Lincs, Lincolnshire United Kingdom on Saturday, December 07, 2019