Strangers

by Taichi Yamada | Horror |
Registered by carelaisa of Québec, Québec Canada on 7/26/2013
Journal Entry 1 by carelaisa from Québec, Québec Canada on Friday, July 26, 2013
Middle-aged, jaded and divorced, TV scriptwriter Harada is forced to set up home in his office, situated in a high-rise apartment block overlooking Tokyo's busy Route 8. One night, nostalgic for his lost childhood, he decides to visit the entertainment district of Asakusa, the city's dilapidated old downtown area, and there, at the theatre, he meets a man who looks exactly like his long-dead father. So begins Harada's ordeal, as he's thrust into a reality where his parents appear to be alive at the exact age they had been when they died so many years before. Although they may be apparitions, he takes solace in seeing them, in spite of the damage it seems to do to his health. Can Kei, the mysteriously fragile neighbour with whom Harada begins a tentative relationship, save him from the ghosts of his past?

Released 4 yrs ago (11/6/2014 UTC) at Unusual Countries Sweepstake, RABCK Sweepstakes/Drawing -- Controlled Releases

Hope the book will be enjoyed :)

Journal Entry 3 by book-a-neer at Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Tuesday, November 25, 2014
Thank you!

Journal Entry 4 by book-a-neer at Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Tuesday, May 03, 2016

Released 2 yrs ago (5/3/2016 UTC) at Melbourne, Victoria Australia

I read the blurb at the back and saw that there might be ghosts in the story. I'm not really into that kind of thing so I thought I'd send it on to the next reader.

Congratulations on winning the Author's From Unusual Countries Sweepstakes!

Journal Entry 5 by wingEdwardstreetwing at Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Wednesday, May 11, 2016
Thanks , this looks interesting

Journal Entry 6 by wingEdwardstreetwing at Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Wednesday, July 05, 2017
I never got around to completing this - will send onto the next winner of Authors from unusual countries sweep when it is drawn later this month

Journal Entry 7 by wingcontowing at Lisboa (city), Lisboa (distrito) Portugal on Monday, July 31, 2017
I'm not a ghost stories' person myself but I'll give it a go anyway. Who knows, maybe I'll get surprised and end up by enjoying it.
Thank you for sending it my way.

Journal Entry 8 by wingcontowing at Lisboa (city), Lisboa (distrito) Portugal on Tuesday, October 02, 2018
I've read this book back in June, but noticed only now that I didn't journal it at the time. Sorry about that...

The description of the book as a "ghost story" left me unwilling to pick it up at the beginning but then I started reading and, almost half way through the book, nothing happened similar to what I imagined as ghost books (I do not even know if I had ever read one before, in fact) and, being quite well written, is was a pleasant reading and I just kept going.
In the end I can just say that it was indeed something very, very different from what one would expect from a "ghost book". Without a trace of terror, suspense or even fantasy (in that sense that has been given to this word in the last decades). It is really just a story in which it makes sense for the parents to appear as ghosts to a man who had been an orphan since age 12... or maybe that's not quite that at all ;)
But anyway, it is an interesting enough book and an enjoyable read.

It will be available for anyone who wants to give it a try...

Releasing this one at the little free library of Menina e Moça Bar, while meeting new BCers! :)
Hope someone decides to try and enjoys it...
Have fun!

Journal Entry 10 by wingApoloniaXwing at Lisboa - Caís do Sodré, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Wednesday, January 30, 2019
The book didn't make it into the LFL (but we were sitting right next to it) - it ended up in my bag instead and will come to Berlin with me. Thank you, conto!

Journal Entry 11 by wingApoloniaXwing at Prenzlauer Berg, Berlin Germany on Monday, February 04, 2019
I agree, calling this a 'ghost story' doesn't really hit the nail. It certainly isn't of the frightening, goosebumps inducing kind, it's rather some kind of psychological portrait of a lonely man with a lot of buried grief. It's written in that typically Japanese sparse, terse style, which then creates a great eerie atmosphere.
The translation could have been better though.