Worlds Afire

by Paul B. Janeczko | Poetry |
ISBN: 076363400X Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 7/24/2013
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, July 24, 2013
I got this fair-condition softcover from Better World Books. It's an account, in the form of poems by many of the individuals involved, of the tragic circus fire in Hartford CT (see Stewart O'Nan's The Circus Fire for an excellent non-fiction account). [I visited the circus-fire memorial recently and found it very moving; see the photo in this JE.]

The accounts describe the anticipation as the circus arrives, the excitement of those who have tickets, the workaday views of the circus staff - and then, suddenly, the fire... The actual fire lasted maybe ten minutes from the first sighting to the collapse of the tent, seemingly an impossibly short time to have caused so much devastation. The third part of the book deals with the aftermath, from neighbors comforting survivors to officials helping identify the dead. The poems depict the disbelief, the loss, the tragedy, conveying the horror of the event without being overly graphic - the reader's imagination can do a better job of that...

I learned that the author had renamed key characters, and made composite characters of others; this doesn't detract from the story unless (as with me) you know enough about it to remember the real names of some of the individuals involved, and are jarred a bit ("Wait, wasn't that (other name)?").

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Thursday, August 15, 2013

Released 8 yrs ago (8/15/2013 UTC) at Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I'm adding this book to the small press/indie publisher bookbox, which will be on its way back to emmejo in NY soon. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by wingemmejowing at Trumansburg, New York USA on Monday, August 19, 2013
Got this book in the Small/Indie Press bookbox. Thank you!

Journal Entry 4 by wingemmejowing at Trumansburg, New York USA on Friday, October 12, 2018

Released 2 yrs ago (10/11/2018 UTC) at Trumansburg, New York USA

Sent out as a RABCK. After having this book sitting on my shelf for 5 years, I decided I'd better let it head to someone who might read it more quickly!

Journal Entry 5 by wingSpatialwing at Arlington, Virginia USA on Sunday, October 21, 2018
Thank you for sending this RABCK box of books! What I don't keep to read will be spread around to LFLs, as RABCKs, or to one of the two book fairs the BCinDC group gives away books at in Maryland.

Sounds like a unique way to tell the story. I don't know if I can handle the subject matter...but will give it a try.

Journal Entry 6 by wingSpatialwing at Arlington, Virginia USA on Tuesday, August 13, 2019
Even though the book covered the tragic event from the anticipation of the circus, to the panic of the fire, to the devastation afterward, the author did not relate the events in graphic detail, thankfully. But I did feel the rollercoaster of emotion while reading it. Janeczko ends the book with the poem of the cameraman filming the fire and watching the film in reverse. Very moving.

Journal Entry 7 by wingSpatialwing at By Mail, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, September 4, 2019

Released 2 yrs ago (9/4/2019 UTC) at By Mail, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases

💞 ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ 💞 ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ 💞

Going to the winner of Spatial's August 2019 offer in
greenbadger's one book a month thread!

💞 ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ 💞 ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ 💞

Journal Entry 8 by wingReallyBookishwing at Furlong, Pennsylvania USA on Monday, September 9, 2019
Received safely. Looks very interesting! Thanks for the RABCK.

Journal Entry 9 by wingReallyBookishwing at Furlong, Pennsylvania USA on Sunday, June 13, 2021
I have no idea why it took me so long to get to this one, especially as it is such a quick read. I think I may have passed it over a couple of times because of the tragic subject matter. And it is tragic, but not overly graphic, as other reviewers have also pointed out.

The format was effective, I thought -- relatively brief poems from multiple viewpoints that provide a fictionalized account of an actual historical event. Since I hadn't previously read anything about the facts of the fire, there was nothing about the fictionalization that jarred me.

I felt that this was well done and I appreciated the reading experience.

Journal Entry 10 by wingReallyBookishwing at Pebble Valley Drive LFL in Doylestown, Pennsylvania USA on Thursday, July 29, 2021

Released 1 mo ago (7/29/2021 UTC) at Pebble Valley Drive LFL in Doylestown, Pennsylvania USA

I hope the finder enjoys the book!