The Sun Also Rises

by Ernest Hemingway | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by weiterferne of Houston, Texas USA on 7/24/2013
Journal Entry 1 by weiterferne from Houston, Texas USA on Wednesday, July 24, 2013
This is an audiobook version of Hemingway's classic. From amazon: The quintessential novel of the Lost Generation, The Sun Also Rises is one of Ernest Hemingway's masterpieces and a classic example of his spare but powerful writing style. A poignant look at the disillusionment and angst of the post-World War I generation, the novel introduces two of Hemingway's most unforgettable characters: Jake Barnes and Lady Brett Ashley. The story follows the flamboyant Brett and the hapless Jake as they journey from the wild nightlife of 1920s Paris to the brutal bullfighting rings of Spain with a motley group of expatriates. It is an age of moral bankruptcy, spiritual dissolution, unrealized love, and vanishing illusions. First published in 1926, The Sun Also Rises helped to establish Hemingway as one of the greatest writers of the twentieth century.

I found the book medium interesting - lots of dialogues, less happening. I guess the emotions are to be read between the lines and the meaning in the parabolic bull-fighting story. Sometimes I thought I got it, other times I was completely lost and bored.

Releasing this into booklady's331 audiobook box. Happy travels for this book who's characters are travelling, too.

Journal Entry 3 by wingKateKintailwing at Burke, Virginia USA on Tuesday, September 24, 2013
Claiming from Booklady331's CD Only Audio Bookbox. I tried reading this when I was about 14 or 15. I don't think I quite finished it or understood it back then. I look forward to giving it another try. Plus, William Hurt as the reader--that's worth the attempt right there! Thank you!